Render Movie Settings - Custom naming convention {tokens}

Hi,

Coming from the VFX world as an Artist and Pipeline developer, I’m used to dealing with strict naming conventions when working with Shots / Output renders. I’m also super new to UE4 and wanted to know if there’s a way to control the naming convention of the output rendered .EXR’s on a more granular level.

Currently the naming convention we’re using for [Houdini, Nuke, Maya, etc…] looks like what you see below. We’re also using Shotgun and Shotgun Toolkit to control the naming conventions based on [Project, Episode, Sequence, Shot and Tasks] tokens in customized Shotgun Toolkit templates.

Example naming convention:

From the Shotgun Toolkit templates file:

[TABLE=“border: 1, cellpadding: 1”]

@shot_root/
work/
renders/
v{version}/
{Project_Short_Name}_
{Episode}_
{Sequence}_
{Shot}_
{Step}
[{name}]
v{version}
.{SEQ}
.exr

What’s created on disk when something would be rendered out of [Houdini, Nuke, Maya]. These names are also derived from Shots created in the Shotgun Database:

[TABLE=“border: 1, cellpadding: 1”]

@shot_root/
work/
renders/
v002/
amazeballsExpo_
ext_
opt1_
011-cam4-ngt_
bg
WorldNormal
v001
.####
.exr

@shot_root/work/renders/v002/amazeballsExpo_ext_opt1_011-cam4-ngt_bg_WorldNormal_v001.####.exr

The thought process is similar between UE4 and Shotgun Toolkit but not sure how I can create new {tokens} in UE4. I also realize the UE4 {shot} token name is derived from the [shot] name in the Sequencer Master UI.

I have also looked for insight in the forums and tutorials but nothing was helping, probably due to my lack of knowledge and UE terminology is a bit different than in other DCC packages.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Best,

The only tags that are currently supported are:

{shot}, {shot_frame}, {camera}, {fps}, {width}, {height}, {world}, {quality}, {material}

Unfortunately you can’t add them without modifying code.

In the future, we’ll be looking at implementing python functionality in the editor so that you can call the movie rendering functionality with python. You’ll be able to formulate your own filename in python that you can pass to the movie renderer.

Thanks Max! I appreciate the feedback.

BTW, which code modification are you referring to? If it’s under the hood I can modify it but if it’s not accessible then that’s another story. :slight_smile:

Best,