Render 1x 4K sequence fine. Then UE5 crashes when rendering a 2nd

Hi everyone, I’ve been having a constant issue with my UE5.4 project…

This project was for my Final Major Project of my Masters in Games Art and Design which I finished last week.

Now that the work is submitted, I want to refine and improve the project. However 1 big issue keeps haunting me!!!..

When I render out a cine camera cequence at 4K, the engine manages it. But when I go to render a 2nd cine camera UE5 crashes.

The lighting WAS ONCE very heavy and complex but has since been refined and is far less costly to performance…

However, the issue still persists…

I have added some screenshots to visualise lighting complexity, overdraw etc… Please let me know if any other information would be useful to diagnose what is causing the crashing!

ARC_Troopers-34507850-2024.08.28-12.36.22.profViz (66.0 KB)

Pc Build:

GPU - RTX 3080

CPU - Intel i7 9700K

Ram - 32gb DDR4

When I ‘play’ the level with a third person character, the fps is also very poor.

Am I pushing the engine too hard? Or is my project just sub-optimal? If it needs further optimisation, where does it need it?!

Relatively new to using UE5. This is my second project using it and not worked at this scale before.

Here is the final cinematic which I created last week so you have a better understanding of the whole level…

This also comes up when it crashes…

Well done, great looking project.

1 Like

Ok just to clear it out you rendered a sequence of maybe 100 frames at 30 fps it rendered fine but when you put in more sequences in the render queue it crashed?

1 Like

Looks great when it bloody works! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Looks like your GPU might be going into power efficiency mode causing it to lose registry with the engine. Try switching your power plan to high performance mode.

I’ve read that MSI afterburner’s stats monitoring can also cause this.

1 Like

Yes sort of, let me break it down in a bit more detail for sake of clarity…

1. I render out a sequence with movie render queue at 4K using the settings above. All is fine.

2. I am then back in my project, can fly around, move bits n bobs as you normally would.

3. Then I decide to render another sequence…

4. I initiate the second render from the movie render queue… CRASHES.

It crashes with making 0 changes to anything in the level. I think it’s safe to say its to do with the GPU memory but I can’t figure out what exactly is causing this huge draw

Hi thanks for the suggestion but that’s not the issue it seems.

From the looks of things, something in the level is making it very hard to run… But I have no idea what it could be. Nothing is super extreme in terms of textures and tri count is low.

Nanite is enabled everywhere applicable…