Remove all C++ and source files from Blueprint Project

I have this stupid problem…

I ‘accidentally’ added a C++ class to a pure blueprint project. Now i’m unable to open the project because its “build with a different engine version”… which it is not, i’m unable to compile the project and need to rebuild it manually from source… WHY.

I want to remove all accidentally associated C++ files so the project can Open like it used to, without any problems. I don’t want to have to worry about this in the next release of Unreal Engine, or ever again for this PURE blueprint project. I’m unable to properly open it or package the project because of these C++ files that i don’t want to exist…

Steps to ‘solve’ that doesn’t work:

• Rebuild manually from source then remove associated c++ files.
    • This will not work because for some reason the project is still looking for these files with nothing in them. And the project never returns as a pure blueprint project. Packaging will always fail and the entire project will need a full manual rebuild next Unreal Engine version that sneaks along.
  • Remove source folder, saved folder, intermediate folder, binaries and .vs folder.
    • This don’t work because the engine is still referencing the ( now lost ) files and refuses to open and now also refuses to build because of the missing files.

TLDR

I’m looking for a solution that returns the once Pure Blueprint project back to… well a pure blueprint project.

This should be possible.

1 Like

After some of trial and error i stumbled across a solution that worked for me, by looking at the difference between a pure blueprint .uproject file and one that is associated with c++ files.
Posting it here in case someone else needs this.

After deleting the Binaries folder, Source folder and .vs folder, open the .uproject file with notepad ( i used NotePad++ ) and remove the “Modules” section.

I went from this:

{
    	"FileVersion": 3,
    	"EngineAssociation": "4.23",
    	"Category": "",
    	"Description": "",
    	"Enterprise": true,
    	"Modules": [
    		{
    			"Name": "xxxxxxxxxxx",
    			"Type": "Runtime",
    			"LoadingPhase": "Default"
    		}
    	],
    	"Plugins": [
    		{
    			"Enabled": true,
    			"MarketplaceURL": "com.epicgames.launcher://ue/marketplace/content/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
    		}
    	]
    }

to this:

{
    	"FileVersion": 3,
    	"EngineAssociation": "4.23",
    	"Category": "",
    	"Description": "",
    	"Enterprise": true,
    	"Plugins": [
    		{
    			"Enabled": true,
    			"MarketplaceURL": "com.epicgames.launcher://ue/marketplace/content/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
    		}
    	]
    }

The uproject file after this loaded up without any problems, and the c++ compile button is gone.

1 Like

I love you for this!