The first thing I ran into as a problem within the technical side of developing on the unreal platform, years ago, was the compile times. UnrealScript was occasionally a hand full of seconds long, but on larger projects it would balloon tremendously. Now that we have graduated to UE4 compile times are still much longer than simply saving files out. I am a firm believer in the benefits of working with scripting languages being bound to platforms, and have undertaken linking V8 into UE4 here. I will be documenting the capabilities in the change log that follows.
Please send me questions or comments directly, as if we rely upon forum notifications things may get past me. I will likely have an alpha together for people to test in the next few days.
- Updated to V8 v.3.29.58
Alfa Romeo - 1.0.0 - 05/26/2014
- Exposing of variables as properties and using accessors is now working
- Most of the UE4 float/double math library is exposed.
- Started exposing UObject basics.
RC1 - 03/29/2014
- Repurposed as Plugin. It is now fully self contained.
- Executing Raw JS code from any point after the module StartModule method is functional. The plugin loads before game modules do.
- addEventListener, CustomEvent dispatchEvent are now defined.
- Load method added to API.
- V8 is linked into UE4 via a module
- Added a game object, which has a function for each level of UE4 logging as well as a property for the version of the game, defined in a constant.
- Added a v8 object, providing a property to query the version of the binding, incremented as the API evolves, and a property to query the version of v8 included in the binding.
- Loading of scripts based in the modules Source/JS directory from the console as well as from module loading.
- String Conversion between V8 and UE4.
- Exposing static methods in the form of an object
You may download immediately.