Reflections

Hello everyone.
I am trying to create windows that are transparent on one side and almost 100% reflective on the other side. I know how to do this, but I am stuck with something I do not know how to resolve. I made a very simple material, just setting a white base color, a metallic value of 1 and a roughness value of 0. That should give me a perfect mirror right? Wrong. I got something much weirder:

a927dd90d932fe3ff4c015b6ed87314ebeb11542.jpeg
4ca63952e7607830f762817dc71b5897f96a98e4.jpeg
cd08d5a14add909ac5335f5353ac006543922d20.jpeg
As you can see, the reflections on this object are really weird and do not look how reflections are supposed to look.
Also, the SphereReflectionCapture Actor has it’s influence radius set to the maximum (same issues existed on the default setting).
Static lighting is disabled in my project, I only use dynamic lighting.

Am I missing something really obvious?

It uses two types of reflections in the engine–either real time from screen space reflections or pre-rendered using reflection probes. SSR can give great results, but only reflects things that are rendered, so the back side of something that isn’t visible to the camera won’t be reflected, or if something is offscreen. When that happens, it uses the reflection probe for the reflection, but that doesn’t match up very well to something like a mirror. The reflection capture actors create a reflection probe from the position they are at and then affect everything that is within that radius, the object will then blend together all of the reflection capture actors that affect it.

That’s just how screen space reflections work: they only reflect stuff that’s visible on your screen. Everything off-screen or occluded has to be guestimated somehow.

suzi9spal, mirrors it’s a really hard thing in deferred rendering. Neither ssr, nor cubemaps give good result. Also you can try SceneCapture2D actor (Content examples->Reflection map->last stand). Otherwise you can wait for this tool How to create Infinity Mirror?? - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums (answer#7 and related), or this Mirror shader - Work in Progress - Unreal Engine Forums