Receive dynamic shadows on translucent material?

Is it possible to receive dynamic shadows on translucent material? I’ve seen this question, but it shows how to cast a shadow, not receive it. I’ve tried setting all lighting modes in material, but neither works.

Hey Slavq,

For a translucent object to receive shadows, there is some set up you need to follow which is highlighted in the documentation below. Shadowed direct lighting from all movable light types is injected into the translucency lighting volume. Light functions are also taken into account. Translucent materials receive diffuse GI from the Indirect Lighting Cache. Only one lighting sample is interpolated, at the center of the object’s bounds. There is only one sample taken for the whole object, even if it is a large particle system. The indirect lighting interpolates over time if the bounds center changes, so it does not pop.

Lit Translucency

Let me know if you have questions or need additional assistance.

Thanks,

Just in case someone having same prob as me which i spend 2 days to find the reason behind why my shadow fade when my camera get away on dynamic shadow on translucent object. changing cascade distance didnt help. but i finaly found a post helped me to fix it by increasing the distance of r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeOuterDistance from default 5000 to any number you want like r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeOuterDistance 13000 for me .

https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/rendering/86205-translucency-and-dynamic-shadow-receiving

Hello,
I realize how old this post and answer is, and I’m also on version 5.0.3… but I started using UE a few weeks ago and I’m running into this issue. I don’t understand the what “setup” is mentioned in the post that was the solution. I went to the link but didn’t see what it is you’re supposed to do, Fromm what I can tell it just says how it works :sweat_smile:Can someone explain that to me please?

It’s not for a game but for a cinematic sequence.

Thanks!

Increase your Directional Light property: “Dynamic Shadow Distance Stationary Light” from 0 to a higher number (max 20.000)

i can’t use it in my project, do you know why? thanks
Snipaste_2023-05-19_13-15-28