Realy bad performace on Linux compard to windows

Any Idea why UE5.4 runs so bad on linux Mint, or Manjaro, , FPS capped at 60fps, horrible rendering in the 3D view port the UI text is fine, using Nvidia drivers 535.181.01,

Ue5.4 works well on windows 10 no problems at all, and no frame capping

Greetings @Kragnour

Welcome to the Unreal Engine Forum. In regards to the performance issues, can you provide the system specs on each rig you’re looking at? (The Windows and the Linux) Thanks!

Hi FrostyJas
The Linux version is Manjaro xfce latest build using linux kernal 69.9-1 ( went back to Manjaro for the latest drivers etc),

Nvidia Driver 550.100 , RTX 3060 GPU with 12GB,
64gb Ram,
1TB ssd,
AMD 5900x CPU

180hz monitor

Same machine for windows Looking to migrate to Linux, its just the 3D viewport that is degraded on Linux, the application works ok apart from the frame capping,

Thanks for any info that may help

Its like its not communicating with the Gpu correctly big frame stutters and drops render artifacts .

No problems with the viewport rendering with my 3D Application Blender

Does lowering the scalability help at all, by chance?

I used the Default Third person template for the testing.

The linux performance has stutters and frame drops across the scale range, the worst artifacts
are in Medium mode for some reason. I am using the Windows version for learning the app but would be nice if both versions worked well.

Windows Version has a 120fps cap I found this info

Used the t.MaxFPS 500 in the console and got this result in the windows version
low avg 250fps
med -avg 145
High - avg 80
Epic - 55

It did not change anything on the linux version

Do you run any programs in the background like MSI Afterburner, Rivatuner statistics etc? If so, try disabling that entirely and restart. Then test again. I spent some time digging into this issue and found some users that had issues with viewport FPS specifically on Linux with programs such as those.

Before I done the last bit of testing I had Geforce Experience installed but uninstalled it before I done the testing for the previous post, thanks for trying to find info on the problem , I think I might have to wait for the Nvidia 555 drivers to come out of beta for Linux I tried installing via this tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40QI1-4Nlx4 but all I got was a blank screen and blinking cursor and my Linux Knowledge is slightly above noob ha ha.
Once I reinstalled linux I ran the linux version of Unreal Engine through Lutris app and got a lot less atrifacts and stuttering so in the worst case senario for linux I will try running the windows version of Ureal Engine through Lutris at a later date. I will also try the latest linux UE5.4.3 build when I get some more Bandwidth.

Thanks again for trying to help out.

I just installed Manjaro KDE edition and had no stutter or frame drops, still locked at 60fps though,
No artifacts apart from that shadow tearing one that occasionally decides to show up when changing shadow settings to medium with the scalability , Hopefully future drivers help out would still like to undo that 60fps cap I am getting on Linux oneday…

Right on. You’re welcome! Sorry that we couldn’t find the solution. I spent a couple of days digging around. It’s a pretty particular issue. Although, I did see some other Linux users who ran into similar things. Hopefully the drivers help fix the problem for you.

Fixed the Vsync 60fps cap by turning off the auto option in the Nvidia panel and setting it to manual selection and choosing my Highest refresh rate monitor ie: my 180hz one… for some reason it defaults to the slowest monitor.