RealityScan is now free to download on iOS

We’re pleased to announce that RealityScan is now available to download for free on iOS!

RealityScan is a 3D scanning app for mobile devices that turns photos into high-fidelity 3D models. The app has been designed to be super-easy to use, so no experience is required to get started.

Simply take photos of the object you want to replicate in 3D using your smartphone or tablet, and the app will assemble them into a 3D model. Once you’re happy with the results, you can export to Sketchfab and share your creation with the world.

Ultra-realistic 3D models are just a few snaps away

RealityScan is created by Capturing Reality, a photogrammetry solution developer that is part of the Epic Games family. Their mission is to make 3D scanning accessible to all creators. Capturing Reality joined forces with Quixel — creators of Megascans, the world’s largest scan library—to bring you a new tool that simplifies the process of creating CG models from 3D scans.

With RealityScan, anyone can now create 3D models from real-world objects and use them to enhance the realism of their visualization projects.

The high-fidelity scans found in the Quixel Megascans library were created using the desktop version of this application, RealityCapture. RealityScan takes this powerful technology and puts it in your pocket. That means all creators now have the ability to create highly accurate 3D models.

Automated cloud processing

Once you’ve taken photographs of an object, RealityScan does the hard work for you by assembling the model using cloud processing.

You can then upload your model to Sketchfab, where you can publish, share and sell 3D, VR, and AR content. From there, simply download your model for use in Unreal Engine, Twinmotion, MetaHuman, or any other 3D application.

And that’s not all—upon your first upload to Sketchfab, you’ll automatically be upgraded to a Sketchfab Pro account for a whole year!

We’ve got big plans for RealityScan in the future, with more features and improvements in store, as well as an Android version arriving in 2023.

Download the app, enjoy scanning, and don’t forget to tag us if you post your scans on social using #RealityScan.

For updates on the Android version of the app and other major milestones, please subscribe to our newsletter. If you have further questions, visit our community Q&A.

You can now find RealityScan tutorials and forums in the Epic Developer Community (EDC). Join discussions, ask questions, and share your projects in this vibrant community of creators.

DOWNLOAD REALITYSCAN TODAY!

Want to start creating 3D models using your mobile device? Head over to the App Store and download RealityScan for free. Currently available on iOS devices only.
DOWNLOAD FOR FREE

8 Likes

Hello, can it process offline like some other similar apps or it is yet another cloud only app like Metahuman? I use iPhone offline mostly and when i connect to internet it is usually slow or with heavy data caps. My iPhone is mostly used as video camera and photo camera, nothing more. My home vdsl2 internet is 10/2 only.

Best regards.

1 Like

It’s great so far but would have liked to be able to have the option to download the model before putting on Sketchfab to allow option to cleanup and remap with the textures, unless it does and I can’t see it. Only the pro account allows you to download your own models from Sketchfab (which will only be available for a year unless you subscribe)

3 Likes

I’m unable to load the sign-in form. It just doesn’t load at all. I have no issues logging into Epic Store or Unreal with the same credentials on the same iPad Pro, just not in the RealityScan app. It means I can’t use it.

Just tried it and have a lot of fun! Is this going to support basecolor map with delighting?

Hi AE_3DFX, it is also possible to capture images in offline mode, but to process them you need to be online (images are uploaded to our servers where are computed).

Hi Stooovie, this is strange. Are you online? Is this also happening after reinstall of the application? Is the sign-in form empty for you?

We can consider it as a feature request. Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for reply, sadly i pass it then as i use 3D scanner app in my iPhone that can create 3D scan inside device itself and even can process heavy point cloud data inside device with cost of only 2-4% of battery. I really hope in future there will be offline processing mode. I hope other artists will make beautiful scans with RealityScan :slight_smile:

1 Like

Delighting is something we want to look into in the future - just out of curiosity, could you let us know what your use-case is and how important the feature is to you?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, we’ve marked it as a feature request and we’ll be analysing the feasibility of offline processing in the future!

1 Like

As I have many, many action figures, does this also work with a turntable?
It would be more convenient to put my model on a turntable and take pictures…
Would be cool to rig them and use in 3D instead of stop-motion.

No Sorry, for now turntables will not work, as the app uses the AR position of the camera, and as the camera remains stationary for turntables it will confuse the alignment. But we will consider this to be a feature request, thank you for the feedback

Oh, that’s a pity… Hope it can be implemented in the future!

You may already know this, but the desktop app RealityCapture will process turntable datasets and now you can export models to Sketchfab using PPI licensing (below 300,000 triangles, and 4k texture) without a license.

edit: Just to clarify only export to Sketchfab not locally

Oh, thanx, will check that out…

It seems great, but mine is stuck on Processing for more then 24 hours now.

For me, Alightment just simply stops at 0% half the time when the images are over 100. :man_shrugging:

Hello! It seems to me that the image is not sharp enough.
Why no lidar?)

Hi Jakub, thanks for the reply. I’m imanging use RealityScan to improve/speed up the game asset creation. If we need some assets/props, we can use this app to scan and modify the model. It should save us some times. Since we’d like to have the base color texture as well, the texture with delighting will suit for different lighting setting in different game environment. And the color and shadow information will be correct. Otherwise the visual would be buggy. Thank you.