Re-Importing Skeletal Mesh not using new import options

I have had an automated importer for skeletal meshes and animations for a while, however I just realized that when re-importing with different import options, they are not reflected on the asset.

Here is my code for importing:

# Builds the unreal import task    
def _build_import_task(self):
    self.import_task = unreal.AssetImportTask()

self.import_task.filename = self.dataFile if self.dataFile else self.filepath
    self.import_task.destination_path = self._get_destination()
    self.import_task.destination_name = self._get_asset_name()
    self.import_task.automated = True
    self.import_task.save = True
    self.import_task.replace_existing = True
    self.import_task.replace_existing_settings = True
    self.import_task.options = self._get_import_options()

# Execute the import into the engine
def _execute_import(self):
    unreal.log(f"Executing import: {self.filepath}")
    asset_tools = unreal.AssetToolsHelpers.get_asset_tools()
    asset_tools.import_asset_tasks([self.import_task])

Here, _get_import_options is returning an unreal.FBXImportUI() object with all properties set.
Specifically I have been troubleshooting the Import Uniform Scale option. I have confirmed that right before asset_tools.import_asset_tasks is called, that the value of self.import_task.skeletal_mesh_import_data.get_editor_property(“import_uniform_scale”) is what I have set it to via script. Right after this function, the value has been reset to the what the value originally was.

I have also set AssetImportTask.automated to false to look at the options being set. I can confirm that when importing to a new uasset, the properties are properly set. When importing onto an existing uasset, the properties are not set.

Is there another process that should be done for setting import options on an asset that already exists?