Raytracing Denoiser?

Hey guys,

im working on a TitanRTX and want to render out some movies with sharp reflections. Even when i increase the reflection sample count up to 20-35 the image is still noisy. Why is the denoiser not working on sample counts above 1? How they got this crystal clear reflections on the RTX Unreal Demos? Is this whole thing just a fraud? or is my 2.800 Euro graphic card just not enough to get raytracing done?

Could anyone help me?

Definitely not a fraud, and your graphics card is more than enough to do some raytracing on. I’m assuming this because it works fine on my RTX2080Ti. Do not expect high frame rate though.
What I think you need to do is check the samples on your lights and postprocessing volume, especially skylight and raytraced GI takes more samples to be noiseless.

UE4.23 will have huge improvements on performance, features still missing, and better denoiser code. Remember: realtime raytracing is in early access, meaning it is not ready yet and under intensive development. The presentations you see are from companies that not only hold their own personnel to work on their own improvements on top of what the engine had, but also some of them are working with experimental code provided by Epic which is serving as basis to have the work done for “public” release. There will be some other improvements that will go as far as releases 4.25 and probably 4.26, but you can expect the most important ones for quality arriving now at 4.23 and 4.24.

My GTX1060 settings:
PostProcessVolume / Ray Trancing Reflections:
Max. Bounces = 2; Shadows = Hard Shadows;

(and optimal is 100 000 SPP for quality in Patch tracing)

Okay i m looking looking forward to future improvements and sure its all in development right now. I just wondered how huge the difference between the Nvidia videos/ custom code and the current Unreal code was. Anyway does anyone have some news about the Path Tracer and its development in the future releases?

We are about one week or two to have our hands in the first preview for UE4.23, we all will find out soon.

You ask a very good question.
If I showed a picture outside of a restaurant with a meal staged a certain way, and then you come in and I give you something else, and then you asked why it was different, and I said,
“Well, a different chef made that one in the picture, in fact, a very prominent one who used the best ingredients, so…”
…How would that make you feel?
Or, you book a hotel online with a photo-reference, and then you get there and it looks not as nice and is missing certain things you thought it would have, and you ask the manager and then they say “Oh…These are promotional photos, yeah…but you have to realize every room is different…”
…How would this make you feel?

See, it’s one thing if I remove the pictures and put up the real ones, but if I left them up, I am pseudo-advertising a theoretic.
Now, one does not buy unreal engine, but you do buy content with features in mind, so it’s all interwoven…in theory.

Thus, you are correct…Good question, and good accurate analysis.
BUT - in reality it amounts to hopefully it will be that in the future.

Unless someone epically (wink-wink) can put their finger on the scale for us…because that 2nd chef probably could do more to make the meal as equally delicious, in epic fashion!

Im using 4.25 and still cant get a clean reflection with raytrace.
As said here, the reflection denoise works when using 1 reflection sample.

Is there anyone from epic that can point us to the right direction?
All raytrace video demos from epic have clean reflections.

I found this talk showing the raytrace + denoise inside unreal, and in my tests the result is not as good as showed in the video.

[quote=“schmigel, post:8, topic:127612”]

I found this talk showing the raytrace + denoise inside unreal, and in my tests the result is not as good as showed in the video.https://youtube.com/watch?v=N9F3z8Fl0Nc[/QUOTE]

yeah its kind of sad, we are in 4.25 now and we are still not even close to the Quality that was showcased 2-3 Years ago. Raytracing in Realtime is extreamly performance intensive, but Epic and Nvidias marketing showed a breakthrough in the past that we are still waiting for today. In my opinion the denoiser is one of the most important components, to get this done in realtime. And the current implementation still lacks settings and general control. Also there is no implementation of the very promising DLSS 2.0 for now…

dont even wanna mention the crystal clear reflections even on rough surfaces that were promised and showcased in the NVIDIA Project Sol demo videos

[quote=“schmigel, post:8, topic:127612”]

I found this talk showing the raytrace + denoise inside unreal, and in my tests the result is not as good as showed in the video.Ray Traced Reflections and Denoising - YouTube

Why did you necro

Denoiser results leave a lot to be desired, I agree. Especially rough reflections are a crawling mess atm with reasonable settings for games 1-4 rays. Of course this is the toughest case to clean but it still looks worse than in those early NVIDIA demos from a couple years ago.

I have problem with denoiser! I found this video. This describes exactly my problem! But amazingly, I change these parameters, but nothing changes! Tell me what’s the matter, please !? Video