Ray Traced Shadows Subsurface Scattering transmission broken 5.1

Seems like Subsurface shading model is bugged in 5.1 and has a weird shadow effect. Was wondering if anyone else had this issue and if there’s a cvar to fix it.

This picture is 5.0 using a fully transmissive material

This is the same material in the same scene in 5.1

SSS shows up fine in path tracing

Again broken with just a plain untouched shading model in RT shadows.

Hey,

Was about to make a thread flagging the same issue.

Everything working as intended on 5.0.3

Then entirely broken ray traced shadows in 5.1, 5.11 and also 5.2 which I just compiled from github.

Seems there’s no light contribution past direct lit areas, making SSS a bit pointless as it stands. Having to stick with 5.0.3, but really needed 5.1 for a couple other bug fixes.

1 Like

I made a bug report when I originally posted here. Sadly doesn’t seem like it got noticed or anything. I hope it gets fixed or a full 5.2 or 5.21 release because besides using 5.0.3, I can’t find a ray tracing workaround, but you can use lumen shadows which work you just lose all your nice ray tracing.

1 Like

Glad you made a report for it @ItsSharp - Do you have a link to the report made? Seems such a shame these current builds are unusable for me due to this one odd slip up.

Have just built latest 5.3 build off Github, still experiencing the same issue - Just a heads up.

They never made the report public. I have the case number Case # 00512976, but I never saw a published version on the issues page which sucks.

Tried building latest 5.3, but still encountering the same issue, seems its not been resolved/noticed behind the scenes.

1 Like

Dang that sucks D:

Any clue if this has been resolved yet? :confused:

Afaik nope

I just place Metahuman 5.3 in Metahumanlighting UE 5.3.2 Project.
Subsurface working in the original Level MHC_LightingPreset_Portrait_RT with Spotlight.
But when I add new spotlight, It no work !!!
All settings are same.
The only way to work is if I copy spotlight already include in this level.

mmmm… OK It was a missing setting

need to check “Transmission” in spotlight
This setting is disable if not movable

Hope it help