RAM, Video Card, UE4 systems

Can you guys clarify things abit for me.

1. What is RAM used for?
  2. What is the Video Card used for?
  3. What is CPU used for?

There seems to be allot of confusion on the web about what these components are for.

CPU does all of the processing of tasks/jobs that your PC is instructed to do. A video card, aka. graphics processing unit/card, renders an image on your display. RAM is used to keep all of the processes your PC does, or what any computer does, in memory. That is, ready to go. RAM is very fast but if you run out of it then your PC gets very slow as your PC is forced to go to plan B, which is using your computer’s storage, whether that be from Solid State Drive or Hard Drive, to keep all the data.

The optimum amount of RAM nowadays is 8GB but for development up to 64GB is good. UE4 requires a powerful GPU. GTX 970 are what people seem to be choosing. For the CPU, the fastest you can get the better. Intel is better than AMD especially in the high end. You’d want to go with an Intel i7 or Xeon if you can afford it, which has at the baseline 4 worker cores and an additional 4 threads. Intel i5 has 4 worker cores/threads. Threads are basically what are used to get tasks/jobs done on the PC.

I have no issues with my amd at all and I use a gtx 780 ti card which is giving me no issues for it either. i can jump up in ram a bit i supposed but i am doing a huge world game and having no issues with amd or the 780. i think the intel is way over hyped and priced

Currently, if you want the most power, AMD simply doesn’t offer anything–like compared to the Haswell-E processors

there not bad processors though. and they will handle what ue4 has to offer. especially the 8320 or 8350 or the 9 touhsand series. it will handle ue4 and basically anything it needs to do , i have stressed it insanely and it hasn’t got issues or had any yet

Intel’s higher end CPUs will still do things much faster than the best AMD CPUs.

yes , but amd is not slow is my point, not at all.

I never said AMD was slow, only that it was slower than Intel’s equivalent.

Yeah my apolgiies, used to people putting amd down actually had an argument on twitter earlier so I probably carried it over to this thread so I apolgiize if it seems that way

AMD has processors in a specific tier, but they mostly rely on cutting prices rather than trying to compete with improved tech. If you’re wanting the most speed–for code compiling, or lightmass rendering then you want the fastest processor, that’s where you would want to get the high-end Intel processors that AMD doesn’t compete with.

I would like to know if having 2 Pc using swarm agent make use of the total ram or if all things are loaded on each Pc’s memory so it doesn’t really add up (a bit like gpu rendering where having 2 x 4gb cards does not mean 8 gb total)
I have 16gb on 1st pc and , for now, 8gb on 2nd pc.

I would like to know if having 2 Pc using swarm agent make use of the total ram or if the scene is loaded on each Pc’s memory so it doesn’t really add up (a bit like gpu rendering where having 2 x 4gb cards does not mean 8 gb total)
I have 16gb on 1st pc and , for now, 8gb on 2nd pc.

Uh, when building your project everything is loaded into the RAM. If your scene is too complex or large and you don’t have enough RAM then you’ll have problems. That’s to my knowledge anyway. I have 8GB RAM and haven’t reached its limit yet. Swarm agent is supposed to use as much RAM as is needed for the scene. If you’re asking how 2 PCs can build the same scene at once I have no idea how that works.

Yea I wondering if the scene has to be fully loaded on both pc or if they split it, each doing a task. I’m talking strictly for lightmass building!

So the reason I brought this up is because I just upgraded my pc to the 740lp 2gig ddr3 video card and 20gigs of ram and it looks like the Build Lights is now way slower then before. I would imagine that 20gigs of ram would be enough. I mean my scenes are not complex and consists of only 4 lights and the environment light.

So ya…why is that?

I think your graphics card is the problem.

Lightmass build speed is CPU.

If you didn’t change that there shouldn’t be any difference.

Is it a large area?

This the scene…
As u guys can see its not too complex. I have only 4 lights and I have details set to medium. I have even tried Low settings and still takes 20-30 min to build lights.

What??? So Light Build is CPU dependent??? CAn someone alse confirm this?

Your GPU renders the scene. The CPU calculates all of the lighting and post processing. When you build your project everything is loaded into RAM.