RAM, Video Card, UE4 systems

So its safe to guess that getting more ram will speed things up.

CPU + System RAM (no use of GPU here) = Build lighting via lightmass
GPU + CPU (but mostly GPU) = rendering the viewport and the standalone game

Like someone said, 32, 48 and even 64 gb is not too much for development.

You can use multiple PC to build lighting faster with the swarm agent too!

if you are getting slower results i would bet that its your ram configuration, you have 20GB, that means you have sticks that are different sizes. most motherboard bios will configure them as single channel and not double or triple channel, this will have a severe impact on the amount of data that can be sent to and from your CPU and cause huge slowdowns as your CPU waits on the ram.

to put it in a way non techie people can understand [this is what i used to tell my customers]
you have a bucket [ram] and two hoses [duel channel] when you have missed matched ram stick size it only uses one channel
now you have a bigger bucket but you turned off one of the hoses

did you have 4gb ram then upgraded to another 16gb and just add them in? is it two 8gb sticks or one 16gb stick? if the first is the case remove the original 4gb and put the two 8gb stick in a separate channel on your motherboard [refer to your motherboard manual for proper stick placement] that should enable duel channel again.

swarm takes a part of the data and calculates it then sends the info back to your PC. each PC works on its own portion so the data in ram is different, it doesn’t need to have all the info at once

I did not think that was possible. So it should be faster if i take out the 4gig. Right now I have 16x4gigs and I only have 2 slots.

My question is… Would 16gigs be enough to level design and multiple use of lights?

Yes up to a point.