Rain interacting with materials

Hi all!

I’m currently trying to implement a weather system as a blueprint, but I’m not sure of the best way of implementing it.

My current thoughts are to have a big blueprint that has access to a number of parameters such as ‘Rain Amount’ and ‘Environment Wetness’. As the blueprint modifies these parameters, they would be passed into the various material instances which would adjust the wetness of each of them. Hence, when it rains stuff looks wet.

However, I’m not entirely sure if this is the best way of going about such a thing. I was wondering if it was possible to add an effect to a material without actually modifying it. For example, adding a rain splash effect or making things look wet. This seems to me to be a cleaner, more decoupled way of doing this, though due to my nubness I’m not sure if this is even possible without messing with C++.

Does anyone else have experience with something related to this? I’d hugely appreciate any pointers.

Thanks a bunch!
Callum,

Hey.

Take a look at this thread (https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?15078-Water-on-camera-lense-effect). I accidentally managed to make stuff look wet (when in reality I was trying to get the camera ‘lens’ to look wet). Its basically a noise-driven post-process. You could probably engineer the graph to work better for an overall wetness, rather than a droplet effect.

Take a look at this video: ?v=D_6VKS2nNMU It’s on german, but I think just with watching it you will find out how it works :wink: