Rain Forest Scene

Off to a great start. Beautiful details :0

Really nice. The grade and lighting.

BEAUTIFUL scenery

Could we get a screen grab of your full material setup?

Yep. :slight_smile:

This is basically the grass material from the Blueprints Example Scene with some modifications.
Edit: this is not going to be the final mat, iā€™ll add and change some stuff because is not exactly what i want but is doing good job so far.Also the grass mat is the same without tessellation, AO and Tangent Space Normal.

Btw for the tessellation in the first Lepr should be constant 1 vector not 3.

Looks pretty cool!

Hey there ICO_hr

This looks so real. i havent seen such a realistic foliage ever.

I have just one question to you. How do you go about creating such complicated materials?

for example i have no idea when to use a lerp, or an SCurve etcā€¦ I just dont know how to start creating materials that are a little more complex than just a diffuse and normal map :slight_smile:

would be nice to hear from you

cheers

Hi Sorlag,

I dont know every single expression how and when should be used but iā€™m learning in small steps, by dissecting existing materials, watching tutorials, trying to create my own or just using parts of already build materials.Alot of times i find myself not knowing stuff, but there is a lot of videos tutorials explaining what is what also Epicā€™s documentation is quite epic(pun intended).

You can check the Expression Index: Material Expression Reference | Unreal Engine Documentation scroll down the page :slight_smile:

Hey ICO_hr

thanks for your answer. So basically i could learn much, i i would ā€œseperateā€ the materials from the starter content?

And as for tutorials, did you watch the unreal engine 4 tutorials by epic. Did you find any other useful tutorials on creating materials?

If so, could you share the link?

thanks

Well, you dont need to separate them just open some of the materials and start dissecting what is doing what, you can also preview any part of the material to see what is going on and is quite helpfull.

I watch everything Epic releases.I cant post every single material tutorial here because theyā€™re so so many.Tells me for what exactly you need tutorial and hopefully i can give you links.

Yeah I suggest working through the community ones if youā€™ve stepped through the Epic tuts already. Check out the Unreal Engine youtube channel, as it has a ton of community videos as well.

Holy ****! Amazing work, ICO_hr! Iā€™m **very **impressed. The moss looksā€¦ just excellent.

Very nice work

@ ICO_hr and Chance Ivey

thanks for your comments, i will work myself through the tutorials by epic first and then tackle on the community ones.

So thanks for your insite

Cheers

Iā€™m impressed! :slight_smile:

Edit: Check your PMs please!

Very cool, thanks for posting the material tree, i also forgot to ask what did you use to create the actual texture maps? I usually create mine in ZBrush and photoshop and sometimes incorporate DdO2 and NdO2

Is that ā€˜ConvertFromDiffSpecā€™ a ā€˜Customā€™ node?

So. Much. .

Everything is build in Maya except some very basic sculpt in Zbrush for the rocks overall shape.Most of the stuff are baked from high poly meshes, diffuse, normal, alphas, height maps, thickness maps if needed.Some are from heavy edited photos with manually painted height map which is converted to normal map.Overall Maya for all the meshes and most of the base textures, Photoshop for the rest of the texture work.

This is from the material for the grass in Blueprints Example Scene.Iā€™m using the same material as a base.

Foliage looks really refreshing ! Iā€™m loving it , could we see some grass breakdown ? wireframe and maps ? :slight_smile: