Ragdoll & Collision Capsule

I am trying to go from Animation to ragdoll, back to animation.

I have no problem getting a character to ragdoll by simulating physics on either the root of the skeleton or the pelvis. Unfortunately, if I simulate physics on just the pelvis, the collision capsule will cause the skeletal mesh to hover in mid air.

If I simulate physics on the collision capsule, and simulate physics on the pelvis, the collision capsule rolls around and the skeletal mesh inherits the rotation and velocity of the capsule. It looks like the mesh is caught in a blender.

If I simulate on the root bone, the skeletal mesh appears to detach from the collision capsule. This actually acts like a proper ragdoll. Unfortunately, this means that the two components are detached, and when I stop simulating physics, I have control of the collision capsule, but not the skeletal mesh. The mesh reacts to inputs and displays the proper animations, but is stationary.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Bumping up… I am researching this as well. Based on some older posts it seems that there was a time where, if you simulate bones below the root, capsule and mesh would stay attached. But now they seem to be getting detached… How can we keep these two attached while using ragdoll on the mesh

1 Like

any infos about this ?

hi) solution is: attach mesh back to capsule component and turn off simulate physic for mesh.
need tweak but works)

this is far from sufficient, at least for me, you’re deactivating the ragdoll to be able to have proper capsule component again. I wanted to use collision during ragdoll mode. I’m guessing the actual answer would be something like:

• updating the capsule component location to the location of the mesh each tick, or
  • using the mesh itself (or maybe attach some collision objects to it) to detect collision

Or just use ragdoll when you’re done with the character in game of course.

1 Like

Here you can find awesome lessons for advanced return from ragdoll: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT4SeajOa6mZt6RFYJT5R6M0vdoSgWLO5

1 Like

I unfortunately am updating the capsule component location on tick whenever the character is ragdolling. I have the same issue as you and it works somewhat well but def not perfect.

If i understand you want to attach the camera and everything to follow the player when you ragdoll?