Radial Sun Lens Flare with Radial Rays

I’ve been trying to find a good reference on how to achieve this with UE4, but all I was able to find was an older UDK3 reference http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LensFlareEditorUserGuide.html

In that reference link, it shows a few images with corona glow and bit of spoked radial rays (6, evenly rotated around the center of the sun). This image shows a real-world example of how restricting the aperture of a lens causes the effect to be more pronounced.

When I checked UE4’s reference for lens flares, the capability seems a bit lacking from the available documentation. Does anyone have any insight on how to achieve a lens flare in UE4 that was more like the UDK3 capability? And am I using the wrong terminology for the effect?

Thanks for your time!

-Tyler

Hi Tyler,

Currently there is no similar editor in UE4 for editing lens flares in a Cascade style interface. This may change in the future though.

The only way to change lens flare directly currently is by using the Post Process volume and editing the lens flare there. You can import your own texture to directly influence the bokeh shape as well.

You can find more information here in our documentation.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask! :slight_smile:

Tim

Hi Tim!

Thanks for the reply! I’m guilty of skimming the documentation there, simply because I didn’t see any image examples that were along the lines of what I’d seen before and in the image I referenced. As long as I was Scoobying in the right haunted house, then that’s what I needed to know :slight_smile: Thanks again!

No worries as we’ve all done it at times! :slight_smile:

There are some things I wish had visual references as well. Over time some of this may change to include image references to better identify these but that is not guaranteed. Luckily there great resources like here on the forums, the AnswerHub, and our Documentation (Docs.UnrealEngine.com) which will search the forums, AnswerHub, Wiki, Documentation, and the API.

Feel free to ask questions anytime! :slight_smile:

Tim