Questions for dev of simple interactive game on dedicated server

hi,

may I have some questions for dev of simple interactive game on dedicated server

1. I wanna know what is the difference when developing dedicated server game with or without game session, can i interact with other players without game session?
  2. Is there any limitation counts on players to join? for dedicated or listen server, how many limits are they,and any suggestions for convention and exhibition types application
  3. can listen server applied after players joined dedicated server, any suggestions or api to use?
  4. does it mean establishing a listen server when a player create a game session? what is it mean if no listen option filled for the open level api, does it mean some thing like solo player?
  5. when i using the options like Run on Server in the Custom Event, does it mean listen or dedicatied server?
  6. for a real complex multi-player game, must I to use EOS? and what is the role of it on establishing a dedicated server or a game?

Im new to ue server and client, looking for the reply,

thanks guys!

First, the main difference between a dedicated server and a listen server is who has the authority. So, in a listen server, the authority will come from a player client, where the game simulation will take place. In a dedicated server, the game is hosted in a machine that is not one of the players.

A dedicated server is harder to set up and support because you need this other machine to connect your players to. Here’s a link from the official documentation to help you understand in more detail the differences between dedicated and listen servers:

Game sessions are just ways of linking players in a group so that they can share information and join each other’s matches. They aren’t linked with the authority of your game. You probably already read this, but there’s this other article in the documentation that describes sessions in more detail:

Thank you, I have built a simple remote dedicated server network, since it is for convention and exhibition on cloud, it doesn’t need a session creater or listen server, such as create session or UI, tools I used including http plugin, json parser, backstage server which is a script by python, and blueprint script for online token which tells backstage server I am in the dedicated server, when all of that finished, open mutiple dedicated server on the cloud, any clients can join with auto match!