Questions about lighting

Hi all,
I must admit I am absolutely confused about lighting. I’ve seen tonnes of lighting tutorials, dug documentation and still the only lighthing I can make is absolutely terrible and there are very confusing things happen in UE, I would be very grateful if anybody clarify them.

1. first of all what the hell happens with camera? at some point everything is dark around, next point it is too bright. Yes I know there is some stupid thing called eye adaptation or whatever it is, but illumination level changes even if you have damned thing turned off. I understand light sources should affect camera, but how can you explain this: I look at something… for example, at wall and it seems ok. Then I make several steps forward (or other directions) and it changes illumination level of damned entire scene - now above wall is too bright. Generally speaking camera is complete pig and I feel like some half-blinded individual.
  2. There is difference between scene rendered in editor and same scene in simulation window. Is not it supposed to be the same? Editor window is **** dark, while simulation shows everything ok.
  3. Making human models look… no, not stunning- even ok is a pain in ***. Shadows are your enemies - they make faces look terrible. Lighthing affects model colors in unknown way. I imported human model with brown… I repeat - brown hairs. It has brown hairs in model viewer. When I bring it to scene it has grey hair! Yes I understand there is some violet light in the scene (not too much, just a slight tint…) and it is enough to turn model’s brown hair into gray one!
    I’ve checked different sites - bought some tutorials and I can say one thing they all just suck. They never give you most important, vital information. If anybody know good tutorial that explains above things and gives solution, I would be very grateful.

Hi and sorry You’ve having troubling, but its not just you.
I also have constant headaches with lighting, tho my world likely is vastly different that what you’re seeing. I have a World Composition setup with 4 5101x5101 ( wrong size but working fine) , and yes lighting is a miserable experience for most of us,even those with beefy systems using RTX 2xxx gpu’s.

It just the nature of the beast and not having a AAA team to aid our issues can be extremely frustrating without question,I SO get where you are, but I am experiencing a modicum of success, in a way.

Camera issues, I see similar things here if I see clearly what you’re describing- others with more experience will prob. chime in with more details than I can offer.
I DO yes, see light change going from one terrain location to another , and while it doesn’t sound like you are using that with your wall, I see the same things and am at a loss to know what is behind them-hope somebody can explain this, bc it doesn’t happen in real life., lights stay the same then again lighting a computer scene isn’t easy, if it was Epic by now would have something that can work for everyone. They abandon LPV, distant fields as well and GPU lightmass in its INFANCY does nothing here, tho admittedly even supposed high end systems can take given size/complexity of scene, a long time hours to work.

Scene<>Editor rendered can be off unless your settings are correct https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/…ure/index.html , is for those settings, one at ue4 editor ‘viewport’ tab near top of screen, choose lit> tick game settings,then you set ‘lens’( used to be camera ,apparently ?) under Post Process Volume that you add to scene under modes>Visual effects.

If you aren’t already doing that, this hopefully will get you where you need to be.

Send me your scene happy to look, but not sure why you’re having character shadowing issues, possibly related to your lighting/wall issue.
But ya,you’re FAR from the only one with lighting issue mine complicated with a large world comp world ,and nothing but problems.I HOPE 4.24 fixes this mess!

Lighting is HARD for everyone unless you have the simplest of scenes.

#1 sounds like you’re not really disabling eye adaptation and #2 sounds like you’re disabling Eye Adaptation through the viewport options which do not carry over between the two view modes or the game. How did you disable it?

The viewport has 2 modes, one to work in and one that “replicates” what you see in game by pressing ‘G’. This actually allows you to have 2 different setups for comparison while in the editor, but if you’re not familiar with them then you will get unexpected results when you play the game(even though it should be similar to you just pressing G to switch to game mode). If you press G, do you see 2 different looks?

Do you have a Post-Process Volume in your scene or applied to your game camera, if there is one? This is needed to overwrite default project settings which includes Eye Adaptation with default settings that create extreme adjustments.

Logon here
http://learn.unrealengine.com

Once you do, there is a class that’s completely about rendering in which Sjoerd explains the whole system in enough detail that you shouldn’t really have those sort of issues with rendering/lights anymore.
On ue4 or anything else really…

After that whole course, if you still have issues, the material mastery 2 hour thing shows you exactly how to take real world reference shots and transform them into the actual lighting of the engine. Those are generally used for rendering movie stuff, but it’s still worth knowing if you need to achieve it.

this one too…
https://learn.unrealengine.com/course/2436638/module/5375300

Thanks guys, especially MostHost. I hope that helps. I will let you know.
Thanks again.