Question Where to Look for Paying for Unreal Tasks + Appropriate Costs

Goal: Paying Programmer

Hey all,

Note: If this is the wrong place to ask, where should I ask these questions instead?

I was wondering:

—where to find verified programmer(s) that I can pay for freelance jobs? So far, I have seen Fiverr, Upwork, Unreal Forums and more. I feel overwhelmed. How can I prevent scamming, rip-offs, and/or thievery? I have a limited budget so I want to be precise.

—what would be a reasonable cost to pay a programmer to (for each step):

——add a very basic multiplayer card game (a way simpler version of Hearthstone, Magic the Gathering etc. )?

——add a new feature to the card game?

Side Note: I am making my own game, but I have limited time, which is why I am considering outsourcing a part of my programming.

Note: I am not asking here for offers. I am asking where I can look for those who perform this work.

Thanks!

One place that you could look at is Fiverr, but you have to be careful because some are scammers. Always look at reviews and find someone with mostly positive and also has at least few of them.

Not sure where you got that info for, but reviews are hard to fake, since you can check out the buyers profiles and see their activity. You can also check out gig sellers level, which would be almost impossible to fake, since you have to actively reply, finish gigs and earn certain type of income. People mostly get scammed by sellers that have no reviews and showcase someone else’s work as their own. If you go with a seller that is at least level 1 with at least 10-15 reviews, it would be pretty safe and for extra security you can also start with a cheap gig and see if they can finish it in a satisfactory way.

Unreal Slackers discord seems a good place

For professionals that are expected to actually do 8 hours of work a day, expect to pay anywhere between $50/hour at the bottom end (typically, offshore contractors,) and $250/hour+ for lead programmers in major US cities for contract work, or from a high-quality agency like Laetro. (I’ve used Laetro for art, don’t know if they also do programming.)

Hobbyists have a different schedule and expectation. If your budget is extremely limited (certainly if it’s less than $10k,) that’s probably the best approach. Find some forums where you can find like-minded people, where your good-looking concept art and description of what’s unique about your game can find someone interested in helping out, and offer minimum wage plus a cut of the profits or something.

Expect any project to have a day to a week of setup just to get to know what the game is, where the code lives, and so on, and then between a day and a month per “feature,” because “features” can vary largely in size.

To get a good estimate of what your game will actually take, you need to share a much more detailed plan than “a simple card game.” You don’t need to share the exact art, but you need to know what screens are available, what the user does on each screen, and whether there are special game rules, game effects, animations, and so on, that need to be integrated. You also need to be clear on where the art is coming from, and what format it will be in. Just bringing a piece of art into a game can be anything from five minutes to several days, depending on the quality of the source.

Typically you will hire someone with a background you can verify. You do this by looking at previous work, and by looking at historical profiles on places like LinkedIn or MobyGames or whatever, and you’ll also ask for personal references you can verify. You’ll typically pay a small retainer up front, and you’ll then get some amount of progress to see and make milestone payments. Exactly how this works out, depends on the specifics of the contract, and the contractor. Also, you can frequently negotiate a reduction in rate, for a bigger chunk up front.

In general, the whole point of a contract developer, from the developers point of view, is that they rent their time, and take much less risk on the quality and success of the actual game. To do that, the developer needs to charge a fair amount of money, to compensate for anything from “health insurance” to “time not working while looking for the next job.” Therefore, contract developers are generally more expensive than hiring someone outright, and a lot more expensive than partnering up with someone in a fifty-fifty setup.

1 Like

oh. now i know why i get about 15 offers on linkedin a day. :expressionless:

but, also, jwatte’s post is very, very accurate.

Thank you all for all of your helpful suggestions! This is very helpful!
Thanks especially to ! I appreciate your very detailed post, which did a great job giving me info and context on this! I learned a lot!
Thank you!

You kidding me?!? HA!!! No it is not. Quite very toxic infact. Like Epic, they also love scammers. I just presented a site that would help freelancers with some security and justice against scammers and other crooks who’d otherwise see your hard-worked projects in ruins and smithers, and they deleted it in a matter of seconds.

While there are at least a few users who do care for the victims of these criminals and crooks, Many others there love to discourage game devs from seeking justice, and effectively as a result, those victims are more likely to quit freelance and/or game dev entirely.

Unreal Slackers is the worst community right now, sharing that trophy with Game Dev League.

Greetings !

Please believe that I deeply empathize with your plight as well as that of others who have been victims of scams. I applaud you for taking the time out to create a space for developers and freelancers to report crooks and scammers.

The OP, here, is simply looking for places to find paying Unreal tasks. Your post here is very personal and potentially inflammatory. While I wholeheartedly am a champion for free speech, personally, I must revert to our Forum Rules/Code of Conduct where we expect a level of professionalism and respect from our members.

Let’s please remain on topic and continue the discussion on the subject matter of the OP.

Thank you for your cooperation!

'- Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

@anonymous_user_802e910a

First off, I would stay as far away from Upwork as possible. That place is a haven for scammers.
Second, you may want to consider Remote Game Jobs. From what I was able to research and understand, It is a new website designed for bringing remote jobs to freelancers quicker as well as allowing recruiters to post their job advertisements to attract reliable talent faster, with some means of security. I only just found out about this last week and am trying my hand at it now.

If it also beats Unreal Slacker or GDL freelance sectors, it’s worth the try.

Then why did one of your moderators delete my post regarding the Crooked Registry Board? Which was on-topic to the OP’s situation on how to prevent or do something about scammers?

EDIT: The other moderator @PresumptivePanda stated in PM, he made a mistake and stated I can repost it. Disregard this message.

2 Likes

Fortunately, I created an alternative means of justice. A special warnings board for scammers and other criminals that would jeopardize game developers and freelancers. While it is designed mainly to protect freelancers, it can still be used to protect recruiters being scammed as well. Let me know if you need any help with reporting scammers or questions.

3 Likes

Thank you, for the warning about Unreal Slackers, Game Dev League, and more! And thank you for the anti-scammer resource!
I will check out Remote Game Jobs and more and also start looking for someone in person.
Thanks!

2 Likes