[Question] Tessellated/displaced material blend

I’ve set up a material blend via two material functions and a MatLayerBlend_Standard function. Everything works fine, the material is tessellated and it blends nicely, but the world displacement doesn’t seem to be taken into account. Is that currently even supported?

I decided not to include worldPositionOffset,Displacement, or tessellation in the blend functions because they limit the type of blends you can do. Some things are not supported in those parts of the material, like per-pixel blends, fresnel etc. Right now you can use a Break Material Attributes and a Make Material attributes to feed your displacement into it. I will add new nodes that let you add displacement or world position offset at the end of your chain, but it wont be available until the next build.

I see, thanks for the info!

Layer blending is implemented via material functions. Looking at MatLayerBlend_Standard, it looks like it just passes the displacement of the base material thru to the output. Can you try duplicating the material function, hooking up a lerp on world displacement, and outputting that?

Could you elaborate a bit more on what I should do? I’m not sure if I got it.

Hi Christian,

Thank you for your report, I will be investigating this issue. Could you please elaborate on what you said about “the world displacement doesn’t seem to be taken into account”? What is your intended result? Could you please provide a screenshot of the material editor so I can see the inputs? Any additional information would help to find a solution to the issue.

Thank you,

Alexander

Hi. Thanks for investigating! Here are the pics, hope they are descriptive enough.

Hi Christian,

Unfortunately, the “Image” function is not working properly. Any images do not come through to us unless they are attached via upload. Could you please repost them as attachments? Sorry for any inconvenience, we are working on fixing this issue.

Thank you,

Alexander

Second try:

Hi Christian,

It seems that even the attach via upload is not functioning properly. Our site managers have been informed. Could you put the images on the FTP and I can extract them from there? Thank you for your cooperation during this issue.

-Alexander

No problem. You find the pics under my name “Christian Hecht” in a ZIP called “tessellation blend issue pics”.

Use MatLayerBlend_StandardWithDisplacement node instead (it was added in the newer builds, decided to post in case someone stumbles upon this old question)

Much thanks for back-answering this Q! I did indeed stumble upon this old question, and your answer was exactly what I needed :slight_smile: