Question on Cubemaps

Hello, could someone let me know what the max size for Cubemaps (.dds) files is when you import them into unreal engine, because I have tried to import a 4k cubemap and unreal was ‘importing’ for ~20 minutes. I mean if I just need to wait a really long time that’s fine with me. I read on one thread that the max file size was 85 MB so I tried a lower resolution which gave me a 6 MB filesize (the other on was 384 MB) on the same map and it worked perfectly, but the thread was very old and maybe thanks to recent updates we can import larger files? I just want to know if I’m wasting my time waiting for my 384 MB 4K cubemap to import or not?

So can someone let me know what the deal is with dds filesizes? Thanks. :slight_smile:

We have a couple 6000x3000 cubemaps but most of ours are 2048x1024. I do remember them taking a REALLY long time to import, so long that we thought it had just crashed but when we came back from lunch it had finished. I don’t know what the original dds file size was but I think the time spent is some kind of massive conversion, our 6000x3000 one weighs in at only 51 MB on the UE side.

Alright well thanks it’s probably just going to take long time then, I’ll let you know if I get my 4k one to import.

Good luck and don’t wait up for it :wink:

Wow that took long, I think I’m going to import like 3 or 5 before I leave home or something, that way when I get back it will all be great. But yeah it worked and I have an amazing 4k skybox!