Question about Root Bones (complete noob) (UE4-27

Im trying to rig a simple character in blender with the intent of making a physics based characters for a vr game.

In blender I made a root bone at 0,0,0 then extended a new bone, disconnected it and started making my skeleton. I went from the middle up to the head and then from the middle down to the tail. The first bone is still parented to the root, so rotating the root rotates the whole character.
When I import it into UE4 and attach capsules to the physics asset the body keeps detaching at the “tail”.

Have you tried making the root start at the head? It seems to me that it makes more sense from an FK perspective. The head would control the main movement while the tail then reacts to that through IK or in your case physics. I’m not an expert in Unreal for physics but from an animation perspective the root should translate/rotate your whole character while the other bones will follow. I would imagine Unreal works under this assumption and it’s probably why you aren’t getting the results you want.

Sorry I can’t be much more help, but that model looks really cool!