quest fog?Do you know how to improve the performance and efficiency of FOG in Unreal 4?

Do you know how to improve the performance and efficiency of FOG in Unreal 4?
When developing the application of quest, as long as the fog switch is turned on, the efficiency drops significantly after packaging it out, but the official has not given the corresponding adjustment parameters for the related settings of the fog effect. Do you have any other good ways to make fog effects? Or a fog effect production method that saves resources and performance?
Thank you God!

Technical fog effects are extremely intensive on mobile and VR platforms, so avoid using atmospheric fog and exponential fog components where possible - take it from me, you’ll be fighting against every other aspect of your project to maintain frame budget. Instead, try faking a fog effect with this: UE4 Tutorial: Multi-Colored Fog (Journey) - YouTube

If its volumetric fog that you’re after, I think you’re out of luck. If you can get volumetrics to correctly render in VR, you’ll still struggle against the performance impact.

Thank you very much for your answers.
Try to make according to your youtube tutorial, but encountered a new problem.
When the mobile HDR effect is turned off, the Android mode does not support the POST process, so packaging into the headset has no effect, but the ordinary ES3.1 mode is feasible. I don’t know if there is a problem with the setting, or quest vr does not support it.

I would like to know if anyone has found good fogs that work for the quest
I have only been able to use fog sheets, nothing volumetric
Has anyone found a niagara fog that works in quest?

for Quest, you can try material-based fog using the Pixel Depth material expression. Apply that master material to everything in the game. It’s a global fog effect that mimics Exponential Height Fog.
Volumetric lighting/fog can be faked with light shaft mesh

thx for your idea
will look into the PDepth
I’ve found fog cards and light shaft cards
everything is too flat and you notice in vr
not having a good fog shader system kills the ambiance in q2 native apps
even a bit of world offset foliage wind makes it jitter.
pixel depth is a volumetric material exp?
who would think a bit of swirling fog would be too much for zuck’s metaverse baby.

No, it would be for regular surface materials. The idea with using material based fog is that you render the fog in the pixel shader of each drawn scene object. When just using depth it’s a very cheap simple static fog.

You could extend it with more material code to do more advanced effects like varying colors, height based layers and maybe even simple animations. It is calculated for every pixel in the scene though, so the cost can add up, especially if you sample textures in it.

1 Like