Quest 2 Mobile HDR - left eye black / not rendering

I want to use Mobile HDR for bloom effects critical to my project.

I have a clean install of UE5, began with the starter VR demo,
Enabled ‘Mobile HDR’, added a post process volume and turned up bloom,
My left eye is black.
I disable MHDR, I see both eyes but no bloom.

I’ve heard disabling MMV fixes this, so I uncheck MHDR, disable MMV, but still one eye broken.

I have also experimented with enabling / disabling Instanced Stereo to no avail.

What works for you guys and how do I make this work!

Please help!

I’ve heard disabling MSAA fixes the black eye with mobile HDR in UE5. Give it a try.

2 Likes

This worked to resolve the left eye blank out!

Unfortunately it now has caused some weird rendering effects / flicker in the left eye I haven’t seen before - but I am going to test some other AA methods and VR settings to get a full fix now.

Will post a solution if i get one - otherwise this is the closest I’ve gotten. Thanks @Muscle_Kay !

1 Like

Hey there, have you found the fix on weird rendering/flickering that you described earlier?

Hi, did you resolve all problems with it?

Thank you so so much! This saved my life on UE 5.0.3 when none of the other suggestions (disabling/enabling Mobile HDR, Instanced Stereo, OpenXR plugin, MetaXR plugin)!

For posterity, I switched the anti-aliasing to FXAA.

Hoping someone else can explain what’s going on or if MSAA has some bugs for now because MSAA has always recommended in UE docs like this XR Best Practices in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation

2 Likes

Update: Looks like Unreal has another documentation here on VR/XR features. XR Performance Features in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation
I tried the steps and I’m no longer getting the same issue on my Quest 2:

• Enable Mobile Multi-View
  • Disable Instanced stereo
  • Enable MSAA

Just take note that MSAA will cause some specular aliasing which will be noticeable as shimmer in VR as our camera is always moving. See this video Robo Recall Performance Optimization | Project Spotlight | Unreal Engine - YouTube for some explanation

2 Likes

Thanks for this. At the time of this post - I had to resort to using a stable version of ue4 and abandoned ue5. I’ll give this new methodology a go - but I’ve marked this as a solution for the moment. Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for checking back! I just found out application spacewarp is only available on 4.27 so I’m totally envying you right now though.

Didn’t work for me, still one eye blank. FYI

For anyone trying to make post-process effects work on Quest 2, I also struggled, here is conclusion: Reddit - Dive into anything

hopefully it will save you some time.

i can be able to make it work, but is expensive, I ACTIVATE hdri mobile, and disactivate multiview, and change to deferred shading and work in both eyes