Quake 3 Hell's gate (q3tourney3) redesign DevLog

I will post updates from time to time, so this is the first step
Stage 2+

Some updates on lighting/environment fx

2 Likes

I will post updates from time to time, so this is the first step
Stage 1++

Main ideas for the stage:

• Keep distances - try to export an original map both to zbrush and UE, Q3 uses inches so we need to scale the whole scene for 2.54 times
  • Try to reproduce Q3 movement style - strafes etc. (in quake character is 32x32x48 unit and default speed is 320, so proportionally to UE mannequin height which is 180 its 1200 on the other size the unit is 2.54 so 320 units are ~813 cm/s) so I’ve settled on the last option, 1200/c is too much)

For the end of the stage we must have playable map - done

Future points:

• Make it close to original style (gothic) using Nanites and procedural approaches as mush as possible
  • Keep distances untouched!
  • Try to exploit modular approach
2 Likes

Greetings @Mr.Jozin !

Welcome back! I’m not familiar with the Quake franchise, so I admit, I had to go back and view a few gameplay videos. I see that Quake is a very fast-paced game, and it helps to know the map very well to remain competitive.

It’s refreshing to see the updated effects of the atmosphere around Hell’s Gate. You’ve done a great job on the environment! It isn’t too detailed, which aligns with the style of Quake, and it is much more intense. It gives the environment much more of a “Hellscape” than before.

Is this a group project for your university? If so, what is your field of study? Why did you chose Quake 3’s Hell’s Gate to redesign?

1 Like

well , it;s just an experiment to build all aspects of an actual game using UE tech (nanite, lumen, niagara) as much as possible so stay tuned for the next updates)

1 Like