Putting notes inside Content Browser folders

If I want to have something similar to a text-file, where I type in notes or instructions, can this be done in UE?

I need those notes to be inside the Content Browser.

The Data Table is a greatly simplified (an understatement) equivalent of a spreadsheet. Essentially, rows of user defined data, where a row can be a Name | String struct, for example. It supports all (?) data types UE4 can support.

It can be created and edited manually in the content browser or imported from / linked to / exported to a *.csv file.

Define a struct that represent a row made out of as many columns of the desired data-type, and the data table can hold as many editable rows as you need, keeping things organised.

Sounds more complicated than it is; probably the easiest way to keep an editable instruction file in the project folder.

I gave it a try, but for me, it was still a bit complicated.

First, I didn’t know how to create a Data Table. To make things easy for me, I created a tab-separated .CSV file and drag-dropped it into the Content Browser.

Still, I couldn’t get a grip on it.
Where do you type in stuff?

Maybe I picked the wrong Data Table Row Type?

Could you please explain in a step-by-step how to:

• create a Data Table from scratch
  • if imported as CSV, how should the file be formatted, ie other than tab-separated, other things to think of

The csv file:

311346-instruction.jpg

Create a struct to represent a row:

311347-struct.jpg

The struct fields names must match columns in the file - here, Name & Instruction. Both are strings but it can be any data.

311348-structincontentbrowser.jpg

Drag and drop the csv into the browser, it will prompt you to choose a struct for the Data Table row, choose the one you’ve created:

Image from Gyazo

Once you have the data table in the editor, it’s still linked to the file you imported it from. If you modify the file, you can reimport with new data or even choose another file:

311361-annotation-2020-08-25-201201.jpg

Technically, you do not even need to Reimport. When a change in the file is detected, the editor will prompt you:

311362-annotation-2020-08-25-201555.jpg

So you do not actually need to handle the unwieldy Data Table but make edits externally instead - up to you. Also, works with json files - easier to format complex data, like arrays or other nested structures.

And, of course, you can have many data tables based on the same row. Also, you do not csv files, this can be done in the editor. Files make it easier to import / edit existing data.

For others who might be looking for this.
Another approach is to create an actor blueprint, call it Notes or anything else you like.

Put in notes (hotkey c) and start typing your text.

This is another approach than the one by @Everynone, whos suggestion was an Excel-like solution if one prefers it.
As for the data-table approach; If you don’t want to drag-drop a CSV file, you have to create a Data Table yourself in UE:
Add New > Misc > Data Table. Then pick the Row Structure created as instructed by @Everynone