Public variables reset when after closing and reopening

Hi,
I’ve seen many others here with the same issue. I’m chiming in with my experience. I have a few actor class blueprints with various public variables. Floats, Booleans, intergers, Object variables, class variables. It seems that whenever I open my project after saving, checking everything back into perforce and then reopening. The public variables in my actor blueprints consistently reset to the default values. This happens if I make a child blueprint, or if I duplicate the blueprint. As my project grows toward completion, resetting the values becomes very tedious. Is there any indication of when this will be fixed?

Hello,

I have attempted to reproduce your issue, but have not been able to do so.

Here are the steps I followed:

• Connected to Source Control (Perforce)
  • Created a new actor blueprint
  • Created a float variable and gave it a value of 200
  • Created a child blueprint based on my actor
  • Checked in both blueprints
  • Restarted the project

What are the steps that you are following when you are seeing the value of your variables be reset? When you say public, do you mean editable, expose on spawn, or both?

Hello,

I am marking this topic as resolved for tracking purposes, as we have not heard from you in a few days. If this issue persists, feel free to respond to this thread. For any new issues, please create a new Answerhub topic.

Have a great day

Hello,

Could you please provide the full repro steps to reproduce this issue in a clean project? If you have not attempted to reproduce this in a clean project, please do so and keep track of the steps so we can reproduce it on our end.

Thank you

Ok. The public variables on multiple actors all reset to their default values when the editor crashes. Even if I have checked everything in. I have a localhost of P4v running. I’ve had boolean and float variables reset and I am running the latest version of 4.10.

Hello,

I am marking this topic as resolved for tracking purposes, as we have not heard from you in a few days. If this issue persists, feel free to respond to this thread. For any new issues, please create a new Answerhub topic.

Have a great day

This issue still happens. Public variables reset when I close UE4 or if it crashes.
It’s intermittent though. Sometimes I’ll open the editor after closing and the variables will still be set to what I previously input. Sometimes, they are all set to zero. I was poking around the answerhub and found others were having a similar issue. In the image I provided, I have one public variable. It’s a boolean to check if the ladder is facing right or not. The last time I crashed the editor, only a couple of the 5 ladder child blueprints reset.
I’ve had the same issue with a moving lift blueprint where all of the values change on restart.

Seems similar to this issue. [link text][1]

I create blueprints and then make child blueprints to populate my level.

Thank you for letting us know that the issue is still occurring. Unfortunately, without a repro case, we are unable to take any further action regarding this issue, as I have been unable to reproduce it through multiple attempts. If you are able to determine a repro case, please feel free to leave a comment to reopen this thread and we will be glad to continue the investigation.

Have a great day

Hi,
this issue is very much present in UE 4.14 also.

You can’t fully reproduce it because it happens when the editor feels like it after closing and reopening your project.

The only workaround I’ve found so far is to set the “crazy” variable to the value it is supposed to be inside the Construction Script OR Begin Play.

It is very strange nobody at Epic ever encountered the problem: we had it multiple times in our project and we came to the conclusion that the default vaules management in Blueprint is a bit unreliable. We were forced to build our own logic for storing and setting default values in some cases.

Hope to see this fixed when I’ll update to 4.18

Hey Q-tro,

If you do end up running into the issue in 4.18, feel free to submit a new bug using the form detailed in the forum post linked below:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1410408-unreal-engine-bug-submission-form

Thanks