X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Engine Bug Submission Form

Hi everyone,

Today, we are rolling out a new method for you to report bugs with Unreal Engine 4 to the Engine Support team, the Unreal Engine Bug Submission Form.

In the past, we used AnswerHub’s Bug Reports section as a landing page for these reports; however, starting today, we ask that you instead fill out the Bug Submission Form. This form will act as a template for you to provide the information that is needed in order to investigate the bug. You will notice that several of the fields are required, so please fill these out to the best of your ability for any reports. The more information that you include, the more efficiently and accurately we can diagnose the issue, so don’t hesitate to add a test project, screenshots, or additional information in the ‘Additional Notes’ section.

It is important to note that you should not expect direct correspondence from a staff member as a result of your report. If the issue is able to be reproduced and logged, you will be able to find it on our Public Bug Tracker, using a title as similar as possible to the title of your report (so make sure to use something descriptive!). Please check the Public Bug Tracker before submitting a report, as your issue may have already been logged there.

Thank you for all your help!
    Last edited by Amanda.Schade; 04-18-2018, 04:28 PM.

Holy smokes...

I like that things are changing. Change is good. I would love to see this radical change though:

Something like Crash Reporter, but manually enabled from within the Editor or Epic Launcher. It collects the appropriate data and also you can take screenshots (sort of like gyazo) and auto attaches to the report. Then when there's a status update on it, you click on the bug report icon and see if it requires attention or has been filed to issues.On top of all that, you can search for it. But as another user you cannot just post like you can in AH, but you can ping whoever is working on that ticket with additional findings, and if relevant it will be attached to that report as well.

Oh don't forget about my idea on UDN-Lite version of direct 1:1 paid support.
    Last edited by VictorBurgos; 01-09-2018, 05:44 PM.
    Website/Portfolio: http://www.VictorBurgosGames.com

Join me on stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BurgosGames for UE4 Game Dev. If you need help, just stop by and ask!

Wishlist Neko Ghost, Jump! a 2D/3D Puzzle-Platformer : https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...ko_Ghost_Jump/

Comment

Nice nice nice!

Comment

Originally posted by VictorBurgos View Post
        Holy smokes...
        Wouldn't be too excited yet... there is no guarantee these will be handled better than the answerhub bug section:

Originally posted by Amanda.Bott View Post
        It is important to note that you should not expect direct correspondence from a staff member as a result of your report.

Comment

The UE4 logo with the upside down and dangling 4 on the Public Bug Tracker page is a cute addition.

Comment

Honestly, this is horrible.

We can no longer talk to Epic about bugs? Why did you do this change? The answerhub was a pretty perfect place for bug reports.

With this method, there is no way to see what bugs other people reported. Many bug reports on the answerhub need comments from many different people that help each other finding the cause of some bug, often without too much intervention from epic. You want to kill all of that collaboration and make people fill out some form and wait? And cause 10 people to fill out the form with the exact same data, because they can't know about anyone else who already submitted the same thing? That's a huge waste of time for many people now. And what will that lead to? No one will report bugs any more. Very bad!

I have reported hundreds of bugs on the answerhub in the last 3 years. I very much liked all the discussion I had with many people that had the same issues I had. I often googled for bugs and found bug reports on the answerhub. Often also before anyone from Epic commented on there and could have entered them into the issue tracker. You really want to prevent all of that from happening?

Thats a really, really bad thing. For collaboration in the community, and in the end for UE4 as a whole
            Last edited by John Alcatraz; 01-09-2018, 06:03 PM.
            Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
            Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

How are we supposed to give back-and-forth feedback now if there is a misunderstanding about the bug? Is it not possible to just add some of the same fields to answerhub, and make some of them mandatory if it is categorized as a bug report?

Comment

And do you expect us to manually search issue database every day or every few days to check if our issue is there? And what if title of issue needs to be changed/refined? This sounds really bad.
                There's no space to discuss issue... seriously? Very often you need to discuss issue a bit before assigning it to someone...

And what happens next? Any plans for improving AH or we will be informed after implementing changes (good or bad)?
                I'm thinking about ignoring this new terrible thingie and keep reporting on Answer Hub...

I'm sorry for providing only negative feedback, but I don't see any improvement here.

Comment

I never agreed with people that disliked the AH. I love UE4, and I always loved the AH and how bug reporting there worked.

The answerhub was really a very nice place for bug reports. As I said, I reported probably more than 100 bugs on the answerhub. I got a response from Epic on every single one of those. Epic always said they will respond to your bug report on the answerhub within a few days, and if they don't, you should bump it until you get a response. They always delivered on that promise (at least for me). That made the AH a place where it felt good to report bugs.

I would not have reported most bugs if I would not have been sure that I get a response from Epic about those relatively soon. Filling out a form without knowing if you will get any response is a very bad feeling. For bug reports, its important that you are guaranteed to get an answer on it. Very important.
                  Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                  Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

I can see where this is comming from. Epic Staff from Answerhub is annoyed by asking people for more details and with this new system you make sure that Epic Staff only have to confirm the bug and cut all the back and forth to get more information from the user. However, who had the brilliant idea to cut the communication with other users that in a lot of cases lead to the solution in Answerhub?! This should just be integrated in Answerhub, why make a new website for that?! You seriously need a proper webteam that implements that in Answerhub (and btw make this forum look less ugly).
                    Last edited by Ninjin; 01-09-2018, 06:50 PM.
                    https://twitter.com/Ninjin42

Comment

I don't like this either. Just make some more mandatory fields for bug reports in answerhub. That would achieve the same thing and I also think there will be more duplicates if you are supposed to search for a bug yourself.
                      Guido Lein
                      Technical Artist - LeFx www.lefx.de

Comment

Why did we do this?
                        There were a significant number of bug reports coming in with insufficient information, so this form was created to increase the likelihood that we'll be able to reproduce bugs that have been submitted and increase the rate at which bugs are processed.

What about visibility and collaboration?
                        Bugs will be visible on the Public Bug Tracker after we're able to reproduce them and it is determined not to be a design request. You can always create a public thread on AnswerHub discussing the issue and reference the ID of the bug, once it becomes available. You'll still be able to collaborate, discuss issues, and work on solutions together.

What if Epic needs more info?
                        If an email address is provided in the form and the team needs clarification around the bug, then they'll reach out to do so.

Any plans for improving AH?
                        Yes, however I do not have any details regarding our plan that I am able to share at this time.

Comment

What about bugs for things that aren't public (e.g. consoles)?
                          PouncingKitten Games, LLC
                          http://www.pouncingkitten.com

Comment

Really??? ... This is it... The 'new' Answer Hub....

Formstack enables organizations to build and design web forms without any programming or software skills required.
                            Epic build supreme game engines... But this.... Is Epic just another cheap outsourcer saving 2 cents now?
                            Seriously Epic have no internal webteam for this type of thing? Why not push a few PUBG dollars this way....

It just feels like a lazy hack tbh. In the same way as when 'Google Docs' was used for marketplace voting.
                            What's worse now though, there's no link between the 'Bug Submitter', and the Forums / Answer-Hub etc.
                            As others have said, there's no cross-communication, WTF? That doesn't make any sense at all: Example...
                            It doesn't make sense either, as 'Optional EMAIL' means no default handle to the Submitter... Why do that?

Formstack: We may share aggregated, non-personal information in any of the above situations and also with advertisers and others. If you post information about yourself or others, or communicate with others using the Services, please note that we cannot control who reads your postings or what they do with the information you provide. We encourage you to use caution in posting personal information.
                            Plus, what's the Privacy Policy of the 3rd party website... Who wants to ship their email address off there?
                            Forum users watch-out, as Screenshots / Video-Footage can easily contain 'personal info' in the background.
                            If this is the new direction or the total sum of the candid feedback provided here. Then forget it, never using it!

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
                              I never agreed with people that disliked the AH. I love UE4, and I always loved the AH and how bug reporting there worked.

The answerhub was really a very nice place for bug reports. As I said, I reported probably more than 100 bugs on the answerhub. I got a response from Epic on every single one of those. Epic always said they will respond to your bug report on the answerhub within a few days, and if they don't, you should bump it until you get a response. They always delivered on that promise (at least for me). That made the AH a place where it felt good to report bugs.

I would not have reported most bugs if I would not have been sure that I get a response from Epic about those relatively soon. Filling out a form without knowing if you will get any response is a very bad feeling. For bug reports, its important that you are guaranteed to get an answer on it. Very important.
                              Yep. That. Besides answers from support team, you might have someone random, who is aware of the issue discussed, chiming in.

Originally posted by Amanda.Bott View Post
                              Why did we do this?
                              There were a significant number of bug reports coming in with insufficient information, so this form was created to increase the likelihood that we'll be able to reproduce bugs that have been submitted and increase the rate at which bugs are processed.
                              Originally posted by Ninjin View Post
                              I can see where this is comming from. Epic Staff from Answerhub is annoyed by asking people for more details and with this new system you make sure that Epic Staff only have to confirm the bug and cut all the back and forth to get more information from the user. However, who had the brilliant idea to cut the communication with other users that in a lot of cases lead to the solution in Answerhub?! This should just be integrated in Answerhub, why make a new website for that?! You seriously need a proper webteam that implements that in Answerhub (and btw make this forum look less ugly).
                              I'm willing to bet that form alone would not affect the amount/quality of information, coming with bug report, in any way. Nothing stops You from flooding relevant fields with unrelated garbage. And if one did not put efforts into reporting bug on AH properly, nothing would force him to do better, using the form.

Speaking of the form itself, if I did not know what it was, it would have looked quite shady to me.
                              Lastly, this form looks like an invitation for bots. There are many of them bots out there in the wilds. It would be shame, if them bots decided to report a few kilothousands of not-so-relevant bugs.

Comment

Working...
                              X