Project suddenly started crashing on open

Hi all,

My editor suddenly started crashing today after restarting my project. Was working fine all morning then then suddenly I could no longer open my project without it crashing at about 96%.

All I was doing was creating blueprints and editing blueprint interfaces I’m pretty sure…

Here’s the crash log:

WhisperOfTheWild.log (74.5 KB)

I’ve tried deleting my saved and intermediate folders, no help.

Edit: Engine version is 4.27.2

Thanks so much in advance to anybody can help, things like this stress me out :grimacing:

Found this at the bottom of a saved log:

[2022.11.10-01.32.57:671][ 0]LogLinker: Warning: Asset ‘…/…/…/…/…/…/Users/Jackson/Documents/Unreal Projects/WhisperOfTheWild/Content/SuperGrid/StarterPack/Materials/Functions/Basic/BreakSet.uasset’ has been saved with empty engine version. The asset will be loaded but may be incompatible.
[2022.11.10-01.32.57:671][ 0]LogLinker: Warning: Asset ‘…/…/…/…/…/…/Users/Jackson/Documents/Unreal Projects/WhisperOfTheWild/Content/SuperGrid/StarterPack/Materials/Functions/Basic/MakeSet.uasset’ has been saved with empty engine version. The asset will be loaded but may be incompatible.
[2022.11.10-01.32.57:671][ 0]LogLinker: Warning: Asset ‘…/…/…/…/…/…/Users/Jackson/Documents/Unreal Projects/WhisperOfTheWild/Content/SuperGrid/StarterPack/Materials/Functions/Basic/Roughness.uasset’ has been saved with empty engine version. The asset will be loaded but may be incompatible.
[2022.11.10-01.32.57:672][ 0]LogLinker: Warning: Asset ‘…/…/…/…/…/…/Users/Jackson/Documents/Unreal Projects/WhisperOfTheWild/Content/SuperGrid/StarterPack/Materials/Functions/Texture/Dye_MultiColor.uasset’ has been saved with empty engine version. The asset will be loaded but may be incompatible.
[2022.11.10-01.32.57:672][ 0]LogLinker: Warning: Asset ‘…/…/…/…/…/…/Users/Jackson/Documents/Unreal Projects/WhisperOfTheWild/Content/SuperGrid/StarterPack/Materials/Functions/Texture/Tex_SimpleGrid.uasset’ has been saved with empty engine version. The asset will be loaded but may be incompatible.
[2022.11.10-01.32.57:672][ 0]LogLinker: Warning: Asset ‘…/…/…/…/…/…/Users/Jackson/Documents/Unreal Projects/WhisperOfTheWild/Content/SuperGrid/StarterPack/Source/Textures/T_BasicGrid_M.uasset’ has been saved with empty engine version. The asset will be loaded but may be incompatible.
[2022.11.10-01.32.57:673][ 0]LogLinker: Warning: Asset ‘…/…/…/…/…/…/Users/Jackson/Documents/Unreal Projects/WhisperOfTheWild/Content/SuperGrid/StarterPack/Materials/Functions/UV/UV_SetupGrid.uasset’ has been saved with empty engine version. The asset will be loaded but may be incompatible.
[2022.11.10-01.32.57:674][ 0]LogLinker: Warning: Asset ‘…/…/…/…/…/…/Users/Jackson/Documents/Unreal Projects/WhisperOfTheWild/Content/SuperGrid/StarterPack/Source/Textures/T_DotGrid_M.uasset’ has been saved with empty engine version. The asset will be loaded but may be incompatible.
[2022.11.10-01.32.57:674][ 0]LogLinker: Warning: Asset ‘…/…/…/…/…/…/Users/Jackson/Documents/Unreal Projects/WhisperOfTheWild/Content/SuperGrid/StarterPack/Source/Textures/T_DotGrid_N.uasset’ has been saved with empty engine version. The asset will be loaded but may be incompatible.
[2022.11.10-01.32.57:675][ 0]LogLinker: Warning: Asset ‘…/…/…/…/…/…/Users/Jackson/Documents/Unreal Projects/WhisperOfTheWild/Content/SuperGrid/StarterPack/Source/Textures/T_StoneGrid_M.uasset’ has been saved with empty engine version. The asset will be loaded but may be incompatible.
[2022.11.10-01.32.57:676][ 0]LogLinker: Warning: Asset ‘…/…/…/…/…/…/Users/Jackson/Documents/Unreal Projects/WhisperOfTheWild/Content/SuperGrid/StarterPack/Source/Textures/T_StoneGrid_N.uasset’ has been saved with empty engine version. The asset will be loaded but may be incompatible.

I changed the default map in my DefaultEngine.ini and got the project to open…

EditorStartupMap=/Game/ThirdPersonBP/Maps/ThirdPersonExampleMap

But now whenever I try to open my old map it crashes the engine…

I am almost 100% certain that I did nothing whatsoever to edit the materials mentioned in that crash log on the day that my editor started crashing on restart…

Does anybody have any idea what might have happened, or how I could fix this and prevent it from happening again?

Okay so I resaved all the assets mentioned in the logs but it wasn’t any of that.

Once I got the project open (see earlier comment) I tried to resave everything, and the editor crashed.

So I began resaving folders one by one, and kept narrowing down what was causing the crash.

Eventually I isolated two blueprints I was working on the day that these crashes started occurring, and now any time I opened a map that contained these blueprints, or EVEN RIGHT CLICKED those blueprints inside the content browser, the editor would instantly crash.

No idea what the hell happened to them, but somehow they were corrupt beyond belief and so I cut them from my project directly from Explorer and now my project works fine.

TLDR: Tried resaving all my assets until I found the ones that were crashing the editor when I touched them, and then cut them from the project.