Project for Oculus Quest works fine on preview with link but launching build seems messed up

I’m creating a project for Oculus Quest.

That project includes:

• the Water Plugin (for an ocean and some things floating with buyancy)
  • the SunSky Plugin (so we can set the scene in sunset)
  • the Cable plugin
  • a ready made big ship with lots of meshes and materials all placed as static

I can preview the game in my Quest2 without any issue using the oculus link and everything works fine (except volumetric clouds which I read are not ok for VR, so I removed them).

When I try to launch, the launch completes with success but the game runs pretty messed up in the device.

• SunSky doesn’t work and I cannot see the atmosphere nor the sun and the scene is poorly lit
  • The ocean doesn’t appear but it works (the objects are floating but in a black void)
  • Several materials appear messed up (and some missing)
  • The games lags (my only interaction is in my simple custom blueprint for my VR Pawn that features teleportation, hand animations and grabbing certain objects)

I tried the settings in this article:
https://fattybull.com/unreal-quest2/

But I just got the same issues with less lagging (but still highly noticable).

I’m new to game dev (+XR dev) but try my best to make just a simple scene with a boat in the ocean and minimal interaction.

I just need to know in what direction should I look for to troubleshoot these issues. Is it a settings issue? Is it an sdk issue? Is it material issues? Is any of the plugins I use too intensive? Is my scene too big (many elements)?

I try to look into all of the above but that seems chaotic.

I have zero experience with VR but just try disabling these two plugins and then pack and run))

1 Like

this is a quick way to check)) then can enable and then can customize as you wish this plugin

1 Like

SunSky doesn’t work and I cannot see the atmosphere nor the sun and the scene is poorly lit

• Not supported on Mobile - look at how the First Person Template handles SunSky for Mobile (SkySphere with bIsSunSky parameter = true)

The ocean doesn’t appear but it works (the objects are floating but in a black void)

• This issue is a known bug, however, the Water System can be expensive and I’m not sure you’ll be able to get the performance you want from it out-of-the-box on Quest.

*Several materials appear messed up (and some missing)

• Not all material domains and functions are supported on Vulkan Mobile. Use the Preview Rendering Level Vulkan-setting to test what does/doesn’t in-editor.

The games lags (my only interaction is in my simple custom blueprint for my VR Pawn that features teleportation, hand animations and grabbing certain objects)

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer!! It unfortunately didn’t work, the game wouldn’t load at all with any of these plugins off.

Thank you very much for your answer!!

That gave me a good direction to start. It seemed to me obvious that there’re lots of things to look for and no simple tweak but I got into some of your suggestions and there was satisfactory progress.

• I indeed had to remove SunSky and make my sun and sky the usual way (SkySphere, DirectionalLight and SkyLight). Now the scene is lit and I also can see the ocean. The absence of light made it not appear.

• I realised that the more I look at the ocean, the more laggy the game becomes and fps drops. I tried to tweak the settings on the water component and made it less expensive (and pretty less realistic) and is better now (though still slightly laggy especialy when my field of view is surrounded by water). I may not use that component at all. I will still need some buoyant objects but I could just add some random movement to them, so they look like they float.

• I just started debugging certain base materials using Platform Stats in the material editor and Preview Rendering Level Vulkan for world preview.

1 Like

and from the point of view of curiosity) I just do not have this VR
but what results do you see in VR?