Project crashes upon opening map (garbage collection error)

Hi there,

I’ve been duplicating and saving a map as I iterate on it. I was able to save the most recent iteration but upon trying to open the map, UE4 crashes. The crash log states the following error message:

“Error: Old level package /Game/Maps/StylizedStreet_04 not cleaned up by garbage collection while loading new map!”

And goes on to specifically refer to the post-process volume in the map, which is using a post-process material.

I’m out of my depth here and any help resolving the issue would be much appreciated.

2 Likes

Fortunately, I was able to open a duplicate of the problem map to fix this. I was able to work around the issue by:

• Duplicating the map that wouldn’t open in the content browser
  • Opening the new duplicate map and deleting the post-process volume within it
  • Opening an earlier iteration of the map that had the same post-process settings
  • Ctrl + C with the post-process volume selected in the Outliner
  • Ctrl + V into Notepad, then Ctrl + C on the text that is pasted into the document
  • Open up the new duplicated map once more
  • Ctrl + V into the outliner to get the post-process volume back with the settings as they were
1 Like

For anyone else that sees this post, if you get similar errors relating to memory leaks etc on specific level actors and the duplication fix doesn’t work first time. Just keep duplicating. Duplicating the level and opening will work eventually. for me it was duplication No.6 Many thanks Myxsup :slight_smile: