ProInstance Tools Plugin

Hi - can you please help. Since I updated your plugin I’ve not been able to open up any of my projects that use it! I get different error messages most times when I try and open them up. They all crash on loading.

Unhandled Exception: 0xe06d7363

KERNELBASE
VCRUNTIME140
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Engine
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

I’ve deleted the cache folders. Didn’t work
I created a new project and copied all the content from the old project into the new one. Didn’t work (Project opens but the project level crashes with the above error when I try to load it)
I’ve verified my UE4 installations. Didn’t work
Updated to the latest graphics drivers. Didn’t work
I undated windows. Didn’t work
Other older projects are both in UE4.26 & UE4.27 neither open after the plugin update.

I have a meeting with my second client today after yesterdays meeting went to hell as I couldn’t open up the projects.
I’m not able to open this up for him, both these projects equated to £40,000 of work… please help me!!

Unhandled Exception: 0xe06d7363

KERNELBASE
VCRUNTIME140
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper!FPngImageWrapper::user_error_fn() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ImageWrapper\Private\Formats\PngImageWrapper.cpp:516]
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper!png_error() [D:\Dev-Enterprise\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\libPNG\libPNG-1.5.2\pngerror.c:86]
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper!png_chunk_error() [D:\Dev-Enterprise\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\libPNG\libPNG-1.5.2\pngerror.c:206]
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper!png_chunk_benign_error() [D:\Dev-Enterprise\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\libPNG\libPNG-1.5.2\pngerror.c:236]
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper!png_crc_finish() [D:\Dev-Enterprise\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\libPNG\libPNG-1.5.2\pngrutil.c:239]
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper!png_handle_IHDR() [D:\Dev-Enterprise\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\libPNG\libPNG-1.5.2\pngrutil.c:564]
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper!png_read_info() [D:\Dev-Enterprise\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\libPNG\libPNG-1.5.2\pngread.c:295]
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper!FPngImageWrapper::LoadPNGHeader() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ImageWrapper\Private\Formats\PngImageWrapper.cpp:438]
UE4Editor_ImageWrapper!FPngImageWrapper::SetCompressed() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\ImageWrapper\Private\Formats\PngImageWrapper.cpp:211]
UE4Editor_Engine!FTextureSource::GetMipData() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Texture.cpp:1180]
UE4Editor_Engine!FTextureSourceData::GetSourceMips() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\TextureDerivedDataTask.cpp:206]
UE4Editor_Engine!FTextureSourceData::GetAsyncSourceMips() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\TextureDerivedDataTask.cpp:229]
UE4Editor_Engine!FTextureCacheDerivedDataWorker::DoWork() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\TextureDerivedDataTask.cpp:572]
UE4Editor_Engine!FAsyncTask::DoWork() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\AsyncWork.h:272]
UE4Editor_Engine!FAsyncTask::DoThreadedWork() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\AsyncWork.h:296]
UE4Editor_Core!FQueuedThread::Run() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\HAL\ThreadingBase.cpp:996]
UE4Editor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Windows\WindowsRunnableThread.cpp:86]

Hello!
I’m so sorry to hear that. In the last update I just fixed one line with uninitialized variable and the crash dump isn’t really pointing that out. I’m not really sure at all what causes this, but I can speculate that it may be the updated compile toolchain on Epic’s side when they compile the plugin updates to make them public.
What I can do is to send you the same last version, but compiled from my setup and maybe the error will go away. I’ll send a link to you in a PM.

Hi, I just want to say that it appears it was a Windows 11 update issue. When I had updated your plugin I had also updated Windows 11 the night before (earlier this month). This crashed every UE4 project, regardless of the version. I assumed wrongly that it was your plugin, so I’m very sorry. ( I thought it was as I’d only updated the plugin that morning before opening up my project).
I know it was Windows 11 as today I’ve just spent the whole day reinstalling UE4 after last nights Windows 11 update. I had exactly the same issue and none of my projects would open.
I removed all traces of UE4 and its launcher off my system and reinstalled everything.
It now works… please accept my apologies.

No problem! The source of trouble is kinda unexpected, but I’m glad it was resolved in the end.

Hi Dmitry,

Have you tested the random transform settings in the editor in UE 5.0.1? When I open the demo level and select one of the random transform samples, the details panel always shows the default parameter, even though the scene is showing randomized instances.

Here’s a picture. Note in the panel to the right, it is showing 1.0 for the min/max scale, while the sample is scaling the boxes randomly.

Everything is fine, there’s two levels of settings: local, which affecting only current mesh instance, and global which affecting all instances at once. You’re looking at global, but in this case actually local ones are modified.

@Dmitry_Karpukhin Thanks for the quick response. I see the local settings now.

I got this plugin for the first time and tried it.
Is there any way to rotate randomly by using random seed in grid or scatter? I’m not sure how to use the rotation tab.

Yes, you can find “Rotation Range Min” and “Rotation Range Max” settings inside “Instance Local Settings” or “Instance Global Settings”.

I believe there is a bug (or feature?) with the spawning. Use “Instance Length” to spawn meshes, use two meshes with different length. Vary the spawn chance of the first one say…

The problem is that the BP variable “Current Instance Length” inside “PathSpawnSpacing” is always set to the last successful instance, and not to the one which is currently evaluated.

Therefore if, an instance generation fail, the new one will always be positioned according to the size of the last successful one and not its own. As an effect, these instances may spawn over the previous one.

Hello! It’s most probably a bug. I’ll look into it when I can. Currently I’m busy with moving out from Russia, so I physically don’t have a lot of time to handle everything as I did earlier. Sorry, but the next update will have to wait some time.

2 Likes

Just read through this whole thread for some reason, lol, as intrigued. But also just want to commend you Dmitry on being such a responsive and helpful developer! I don’t think I’ve ever seen such responsive technical support for an indie plugin, an amazing one at that. That’s all, no complaints!

1 Like

Hello, I’ve noticed that built lighting on proinstance tool instances doesn’t get saved. The horizontal beams are instanced with the plugin while the vertical one are normal instances and the screens have been taken before and after saving and closing without changing anything else

Oh man. I remember that I fixed this in UE4. Anyway, you can “Bake” all instances to normal static meshes, so it should be fine after conversion. I’ll look into this issue when I can though.

I’m aware of your problems so take care of your well being and I’ll be grateful if you’ll fix this no matter how far in the future. Also, may I suggest an improvement? Adding random rotation but at intervals, for exemple 180 degrees on the z axis and 90 on the x/y and so on, it would be useful in cases like these beams. Take care and good luck

1 Like

New update 1.27 is out:

• Added option to choose random rotation from a list of custom values
  • Fixed “LogPython: Warning …”
  • Fixed occasional reset of static light baking data
1 Like

Hi, Dmitry, thank you for being so awesome and providing such an awesome tool to the community.

I know this might not be your goal in mind, but I create lots of animations using your tool, can you make it possible to spin each instance in x/y/z axis by time? If you can make some time to make this little change, that will change my everyday work!

If you can even make more attributes animatable as well, that will be even better. But so far, just a spinning instance will be much appreciated.

Thank you again for your great work!

1 Like

Hello! And thanks for the kind words!
There have been a few of requests of this, so I guess I have to take a look. Can’t exactly promise this feature, but it could be ‘experimental’. I’ll try it next time I can, thanks!