Procedural Nature Pack - Vol.1

Hi Crushed,
I’m sorry you’re experiencing some troubles. That’s a very odd issue hmm, and had the lighting been baked already on the scene? I would perhaps try using the foliage brush and removing some of the small plants and them re painting them and baking the lighting to see if that fixes the issue. Could you also take a screen shot so i could see what you’re talking about? Thanks!

I am using dynamic lighting, this is what im talking about

For those interested in performance numbers, the demo scene ran between 30 and 62 FPS. The river by itself in the example 3rd person map ran at 62 FPS without dropping.

Specs:
i7 (2011)
Geforce 980 GTX
16 GB of memory
1080p resolution

Thanks for the pic Crushed. I’ll be sure to look into it this weekend and get back to you with my findings :slight_smile:

Thanks for the post Acenth! I also noticed after I checked the pack again that I left 2 dynamic lights in the overview_scene and just deleting one of them greatly improved performance. When I send in the update to the pack I will have that thing delete so it isn’t an issue for anyone opening it up in the future :slight_smile:

Enjoying playing around with this… Thanks!

Any idea what causes these artifacts along the edge of the screen when looking at the water?
And if so… what can I do to fix it?
f7f9496cf6336fb1fb0cf5f8bf490802b1d3721a.jpeg

That’s awesome InternetPotatoMan :slight_smile: Really happy you’re enjoying it so far!
That may be related to the “distortion stength” feature on the water. You can adjust it in the river_flow_b material instance under the water folder. Give that a try and try lowering it to see if it fixes it. I’m looking into this one already as well to try to get it working a bit better. Let me know if that worked!

I do love the river but hopefully it gets updates in the future to improve visuals and other types of water movement like this:

[video]- YouTube

That looks beautiful! I would totally love to add some FX to the spline tool like that for the waterfalls and I even have some ideas how I might be able to pull it off. I’m just learning a bit more about FX in the engine and haven’t been able to delve too deep yet to figure out how to do this, but when I do I will be sure to update the pack with it :slight_smile:

Yep that seems to be it. Setting it to 0 makes it go away. A positive number and it is on the right and bottom. Negative number and it is on the top and left.

Ok I think I figured out a fix for this.
In the master river material just add a bit of subtraction between the ScreenPosition and the R G Mask
So in my case if I have the the distortion strength in river_flow_b material to be 0.15 then in the master material I subtract 0.015
If you wanted a lot more distortion… say 0.25 Then you would subtract 0.025

I am not entirely sure this is the best way to do it… but at least it works so far for me. :slight_smile:

That’s awesome! I’ll give that a try :slight_smile: And I can easily just take the distortion strength and multiply it by 0.1 to get the correct number for the subtraction! Thanks a lot!

That totally did it internet potato man :slight_smile:
Here is a breakdown for everyone of how to fix the screen tearing at the bottom of the screen wherever it meets the river material. Thanks so much for finding this :slight_smile: Saved me a ton ton of time!!

847a0dc19bf7eadd996200fdff794de0910c6f88.jpeg

I finished up a tips and tricks video for you guys! It’s 40 minutes long, so be sure to check out the time stamps in the description to find what you’re looking for faster :slight_smile: Hope it helps! Thanks for all of the awesome feedback everyone!

Quick request, would it be possible to add a landscape master material + material instance that has grass, mud, cobblestone, and puddles?

Hey Savior,
I’m not quite sure what you’re asking for i guess. I thought that already existed in the pack?

The landscape materials have 3 layers, I didn’t see one that had all 4 combinations.

Hi Savior,
If you do a search for grass then applying your landscape material you will see 4 different materials that show up black. These are the material instances you will be using.
The one labeled grass, mud, cobblestone, puddles should be what you’re looking for :slight_smile:
It can be seen at around the 3:50 mark in the tips and tricks video. https://youtu.be/rhDexjv-Tg8?t=3m37s
Let me know if you have any other questions!

any news on the grass issues?

Hi Crushed,

I was hoping to provide a full fix for your issue with some simple adjustments to settings in the pack, but currently I am noticing that it seems like an issue with the LOD’s. I’m still looking into it, until then. Give these things a try and let me know how it works for you.
Try changing all of the LOD screen size settings down to 0 for LOD1 and LOD2 inside of the leaves and grass meshes under the meshes folder.
Also try adjusting the material settings I show below inside of the “leaves fern” material instance under leaves. “Leaves banana” and the grass material instances under the grass folder in materials. Please let me know if that will temporarily fix it until I can get the update in with a more final fix. Thanks!

Derp, I’m sorry… I think I am losing my mind, or at least, I am horribly scatter brained the last couple of days… I blame Windows.

It’s not 4 materials, it was 5:

Grass, Dirt, Mud, Cobblestone, Puddles

I’m sure I could have the Dirt in there, but I’m scared I’ll mess something up. Last time I tried to play around with the landscape stuff, it turned my landscape into black glass somehow ><