Procedural Landscape Ecosystem weird line-like polygon artifacts

Hi, After using the procedural foliage spawners in the UE5 I observed very strange visual glitches of the generated meshes. Polygon lines like artifacts that starts from the tree meshes generated by the spawners that go all the way to the world origin:

I used the Procedural Landscape Ecosystem pack (PLE - Procedural Landscape Ecosystem in Environments - UE Marketplace) for the procedural foliage generation.

It looks like the pine forest spawners are the main reason this glitch appears. I haven’t noticed aything like this when using only the rocks/debris spawners.

I can alway rise the landscape and everything in the scene up, so that the line artifacts will be pointing down, but that is a really ugly workaround, and I’d like to find the solution.

Have anyone ever come across artifacts like these? Any help would be really appreciated!

First, the pack is not updatet to UE5, secound UE5 is still in beat and has bugs.

But it is 2 ways that maybe will help you.

1. try to make a project in UE4.27 and the update it to UE5.
  2. export the secene and manuly fix it in a 3d application like Blender or maya etc…

I hope this you. Tell me if you need more help.

It happens with mine too. In foliage spawner and painted foliage. Rock spawner appears fine. I haven’t tried different trees yet to see if it could be those particular trees. I’m thinking there may be something complicated in the material that doesn’t work with UE5. So I may try simplifying the material to see if it makes a difference.

(UPDATE: The better solution is to set wind type within the SpeedTree node, rather than disconnecting it. Maybe it didn’t transition to UE5 with a value.)

It’s being caused by a node in billboard materials called SpeedTree. Trees in the distance turn from meshes into billboards and that node makes them higher quality. Rocks are fine because they don’t use that. So the solution I’ve found is to disconnect the SpeedTree node from World Position Offset in billboard materials:

• M_pine_billboards
  • M_birch_billboards_b_spring

If you use Fall/Summer/Winter variations, they have materials as well. It’s not a perfect solution because we lose quality on distant trees but it’s a step in the right direction and we have trees again, until SpeedTree is updated or a further fix.

Disconnect SpeedTree.jpg

1 Like