Procedural Earth based on GIS Data

Hopefully you can make something really fun out of it, or something extremely interesting.
I’ve seen a lot of these really interesting procedural things die off slowly.
Outerra had me really looking forward to something actually being in a game, and that would be extremely incredible.

Thank you Thadkinsjr for your feedbacks,

Outerra is a very good example. In fact, like other procedural initiatives, they created the technology from scratch: It’s beautiful, but you don’t have the flexibility, the community and the tools of Unreal Engine. Even if Outerra is used in military, I believe it can’t match the quality and usability of a Game Engine.

What I tried to accomplish, is the combination of the two worlds: Gaming and procedural worlds.

Hello HeadClot,

Sorry for the delay. No I am not using a double floating point precision. I am using a rebasing world origin but also other techniques and multiple coordinate systems…

I added the support of Cliffs, Beaches etc. based in the GIS Data…

Places: Italy, British Columbia, Mount Everest.Procedural Earth : Procedural Cliffs, Beaches, Mountain etc. - YouTube
I am using the same standard weather, but I will use a weather/season map to adapt the material…

Looks great, Sessid! :slight_smile: Looking forward to where it evolves.

I’m interested in this for my project, can you PM me some contact info?

Can you do an actual planet with this? As in 3d coordinates for an actual planet? I’ve got multiplanet space travel and no terrain generator decided yet, very interested in your work.

Thanks MaSe87!

Absolutely, I can create real size planets with this, I can travel anywhere in the planet earth generated from real GIS data. I sent you my contact info.

Then multiplayer is possible or not ?

Everything is possible!

Looking forward to this gorgeous project

There are some people who say that Outerra is a spinoff of Proland http://proland.inrialpes.fr

I found no information about the fact that Outerra is a spinoff of Proland…But in fact, they have a lot of similarities…

It reminds me Virtual Terrain project

Are there any updates to this work? I am interested in it as well as a GIS developer trying to migrate data to Unreal.

Amazing and ambitious. Wonder what it will lead to.

Here are some news
https://forums.unrealengine.com/community/work-in-progress/1811982-project-terraforming

Hey this looks awesome! Any updates on just a plugin vs the game. I am also trying to make a basic project where you create a real world height map png from Mapbox. There is a geojson file created to accompany this map tile png. The problem I am having is converting the geojson long/lat coordinates say for a road to unreal coordinates. I am trying to use the 4.27 Georeferencing system. This would in no way compete with your project. I am looking for some direction in how to convert the long/lat coordinates correctly so I can draw a road on the landscape from the imported heightmap. A more complete description of what I am trying to do is posted here if you get a chance to look at it How do you convert long/lat coordinates for a selected feature in mapbox tile geojson such as a road to Unreal Engine x,y coordinates? - Stack Overflow.

Thanks for your time and Cheers! Would love to know about your plugin, it really looks awesome.