Problems with weird reflections (ue5 and lumen)

Hey guys!

Here’s the link with a video I was working on, with a lot of weird artifacts. Tried to re-render many many times, with different settings, but the problem persisted. Did anyone have this problem before? The artifacts appear only at rendering through the movie render queue, not at the viewport. However, I’ve tried to tweak the anti-aliasing settings in the queue, and got the same results…

PS: I don’t have an RTX gpu, so no raytracing here. Could that solve the issue?

Lumen can be more unstable with interior scenes with little direct lighting. What you can do is check the Lumen scene views under lit, and make sure your distance field meshes have enough resolution. If there’s any obvious pink/black/yellow areas in your lumen scene, those can make issues like this worse.

Apparently, I found the solution by randomly following an youtube tutorial on lumen.

In my project settings the “Software Raytracing Mode” was set to “Detail Tracing”. I’ve changed to “Global Tracing” and the light artifacts went away so far.

The flickering on metallic parts (frames and bedside table legs) went away after properly configuring lumen reflections on the post process volume (activating lumen reflections and setting the quality to 2). Now I’m trying to fix the shadow flickering on the wall near the wardrobe and inside the bedside lamps. Does anyone know what might influence on this? Tried increasing the distance field resolution scale on the each assets itself, but so far nothing changed.

1 Like

Ok, apparently I solved the shadow flickering in a way I don’t understand.

On the movie render queue, I was told to render my animation sequences by adding the antialiasing module. By default iI’ve tweaked this module an infinite number of times, without getting rid of the problems in the scene. However, as soon as I completely remove the module, the problem went away. Now, so far, I’m having a 100% clean scene. Weird, since every tutorial now and then recomends this antialiasing processing on the render queue.

1 Like