problems with finterp

Hello,

I was following this post to help make movement smoother: How to make character rotation smoother? - #13 by NinjaRoot

I tried applying this to the default third person character blueprint so that the character doesn’t “snap” from one direction to another, so to speak. This is how I adapted it

(I duplicated ‘inputMovementAction iA_move’ to use it separately for the forward/backwards movement)

This didn’t seem to change much, and changing the interp speed doesn’t change anything either. What can I do to fix this? If this isn’t the best way to smooth out movement, is there an easier one? Thanks in advance

Have you tried these searching “Smooth” in the BP database. It should be under math.

I see several nodes, all beginning with “Dynamic weighted moving average ___.” which would be best to use here and how would you apply it to the nodes?

You can set it in character control BP, shown below, or you can set it/change it with a bp node.

Is the character controller component present in the 3rd Person template? I can’t find it in the BP_thirdPersonCharacter blueprint. Would I have to set up a character control BP manually?

This is for camera rotation blending when the PC switches targets, it has nothing to do with player rotation.

Rotation rate is governed by the character movement component:

Admittedly, it may not be smooth enough for some or you may want custom settings. Check this out, see if it helps:

Sorry about that, was going off the BP he was using. Yeah, control rotation and Character rotation are two different things.

1 Like

I managed to set that up successfully, and it does work quite well. However, if you orient your character one way and then move in the opposite direction, the character will immediately teleport to the other direction instead of turning around. Is there a fix we can implement to remedy this?

EDIT: I noticed the interp speed was still set to 0, increasing that fixes this, thanks! However, after that changing the value to something smaller doesn’t do much, and I still see that “snapping” between running forward to running diagonally

No problem, thanks for the help anyway.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.