Problem with water reflections and Sky Sphere

Hi there! Whenever I add water (any water material) I get this weird result shown in the video below. If the player is standing on a mountain far away from the ocean, there’s still a reflection of the player in the water. Also, the water reflection is “following” the player and it looks super weird. I start the project from Third Person - Add new level - Default. The huge moving reflection disappears when I add Planar Reflection but the water don’t look as nice. When I turn off specular on my water material, the problem disappears because there’s no reflection but it looks awful. I just realized that when I delete the Sky Sphere and only keep the Directional Light, the reflection problem disappears and the water looks okay but far from as good as when I keep the Sky Sphere. The reflection or possibly shadow that is showing in the water when the player is standing far away on a mountain remains though. Maybe there’s some settings in the Sky Sphere that I should change?

I would be beyond grateful for any advice. Tommy

1 Like

Do you have reflextion captures and are they built along with the lighting?

First of all, thanks for trying to help me out. I really appreciate it! I started the project from Default not Blank so SphereReflectionCapture is included but I haven’t made any changes to it. Should I do that? Thanks again

The reflection capture(s) provide the data that the reflections use. They have a limited range and a maximum number.
To handle large scale reflection you should consider covering the whole map/tile with a whole reflection box capture.

This doc here somewhat explains it

You may be better off looking up the videos in the Leran tab / Academy section.