Problem with the head in Maya

Hi!

First of all, thank you for your amazing work :slight_smile:

I need the Metahuman rig in Maya but I can’t get a working file. I tried changing multiple settings in the download/export options in Bridge, tried with different versions of Maya from 2018 to 2022, and I changed my character to be bold just in case… but I always get the same result:

The version I’m using of Bridge is 2021.0.0 and the Bridge Plugin for Maya is version 6.4.

Looking in the SourceAssets folder of the metahuman, there’s only a Maya file for the body. I don’t know if this could be the issue:

imaxe

Thanks for your help and sorry for the inconvenience!

2 Likes

I have the same problem as you。

I’m having this issue as well. Comparing to the steps listed here:

it looks like I am not getting the Maya import prompt at step #7, and Bridge is only creating the base body .ma file.

Edit: I tried again and the Maya import prompt appeared, allowing it to generate the full_rig.mb file. This may have been a user error on my part the first time. Hope this helps someone!

I’m using maya 2020, and having the same issues. I see the body rig, but not a face rig. I have the DNA files, but not UFC node on the mesh to move the mesh

Same problem here, tried every build of Maya 2020…

In order to assemble the character in Maya please refer to this document.

https://docs.metahuman.unrealengine.com/en-US/HowTos/ExportingMetaHumans/ExportingToMaya/

Supported Maya versions are 2018, 2019 and 2020.

This problem with detached head is usually reflected when only UAssets are downloaded.
In order to download source assets, go to Quixel Bridge and mark UAsset + Source Asset option in the drop down menu (refer to document above under number 6.) and download the archive again
Newly downloaded archive will contain additional files that are required for Maya export.

There is a known issue when export to Maya will not work if your Windows language is not English (that is an issue that is currently being tracked).

• Go to control panel
  • Select region
  • Select administrative
  • Select English

If this does not help please provide the log from script editor, so we can track the issue better.

1 Like

Hi,

I have download settings set to UAsset + Source Asset. Log attached.

It looks like it needs the Arnold plug-in…?

Found import data, importing... Received data with DH Character descriptor. Initializing import! Received JSON data for Digital Human Asset resolved character name: preedy ('Running on OS Platform ', 'Windows') resolved body mesh name: m_med_nrw_body ('Running on OS Platform ', 'Windows') ('Running on OS Platform ', 'Windows') ('Running on OS Platform ', 'Windows') ('Running on OS Platform ', 'Windows') ('Running on OS Platform ', 'Windows')

DNA path: E:/Megascans/Downloaded/DHI/7dgbhxwP_asset/2k/asset_ue_source/MetaHumans/preedy/SourceAssets/preedy.dna
Body Scene Path: E:/Megascans/Downloaded/DHI/7dgbhxwP_asset/2k/asset_ue_source/MetaHumans/preedy/SourceAssets/m_med_nrw_body_rig.ma
Body Mesh Name: m_med_nrw_body
Head Shaders Dir Path: E:\Megascans\Downloaded\DHI\7dgbhxwP_asset\2k\asset_ue_source\MetaHumans\Common\SourceAssets\shaders
Head Specific Maps Dir Path: E:\Megascans\Downloaded\DHI\7dgbhxwP_asset\2k\asset_ue_source\MetaHumans\preedy\SourceAssets\maps
Head Common Maps Dir Path: E:\Megascans\Downloaded\DHI\7dgbhxwP_asset\2k\asset_ue_source\MetaHumans\Common\SourceAssets\maps
Masks dir path: E:\Megascans\Downloaded\DHI\7dgbhxwP_asset\2k\asset_ue_source\MetaHumans\Common\SourceAssets\masks
Eye controls: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/head_ac.ma
Scene Orientation: [90.0, 0.0, 0.0]

Red9.core.Red9_Meta : “file Open” or “file new” called - Red9 MetaCache being cleared

Warning: Z-axis is already the Up-axis

// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 0 / 681
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 50 / 681
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 100 / 681
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 150 / 681
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 200 / 681
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 250 / 681
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 300 / 681
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 350 / 681
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 400 / 681
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 450 / 681
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 500 / 681
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 550 / 681
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 600 / 681
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 650 / 681
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 0 / 2
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 0 / 76
// DHI.modules.dna.model.mesh : Creating target mesh 50 / 76
updateRenderOverride;

File read in 1.7 seconds.

Scene builder error Scene creation failed! Reason: file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/head_gui.ma line 7: RuntimeError: file line 1: Plug-in, “mtoa”, was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH.
file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/head_gui.ma line 120515: The mesh ‘FRM_neckCorrectivesMultiplyerUShape’ has no ‘.ai_translator’ attribute.
file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/head_gui.ma line 120515: setAttr: No object matches name: .ai_translator
file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/head_gui.ma line 120633: The mesh ‘CTRL_neckCorrectivesMultiplyerUShape’ has no ‘.ai_translator’ attribute.
file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/head_gui.ma line 120633: setAttr: No object matches name: .ai_translator
file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/head_gui.ma line 120684: The mesh ‘FRM_neckCorrectivesMultiplyerMShape’ has no ‘.ai_translator’ attribute.
file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/head_gui.ma line 120684: setAttr: No object matches name: .ai_translator
file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/head_gui.ma line 120803: The mesh ‘CTRL_neckCorrectivesMultiplyerMShape’ has no ‘.ai_translator’ attribute.
file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/head_gui.ma line 120803: setAttr: No object matches name: .ai_translator
file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/head_gui.ma line 120854: The mesh ‘FRM_neckCorrectivesMultiplyerDShape’ has no ‘.ai_translator’ attribute.
file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/head_gui.ma line 120854: setAttr: No object matches name: .ai_translator
file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/head_gui.ma line 120972: The mesh ‘CTRL_neckCorrectivesMultiplyerDShape’ has no ‘.ai_translator’ attribute.
file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/head_gui.ma line 120972: setAttr: No object matches name: .ai_translator
Error reading file.

Warning: Frame rate mismatch: The imported scene frame rate ‘30 fps’ differs from the existing frame rate ‘24 fps’.

Imported animation keys may not match scene frames and become fractional. #

File read in 4 seconds.

// Error: file: E:/Megascans/Downloaded/DHI/7dgbhxwP_asset/2k/asset_ue_source/MetaHumans/preedy/SourceAssets/m_med_nrw_body_rig.ma line 10: RuntimeError: file line 1: Plug-in, “MayaUE4RBFPlugin2018”, was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH. //
fetch all mesh names and skin weights and remove mesh clusters
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Get skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_body_lod0_mesh
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Get skin weights ended.
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Get skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_flipflops_lod0_mesh
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Get skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_body_lod1_mesh
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Get skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_flipflops_lod1_mesh
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Get skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_body_lod2_mesh
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Get skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_flipflops_lod2_mesh
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Get skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_body_lod3_mesh
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Get skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_flipflops_lod3_mesh
moving pelvis
moving pivots for meshes
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Set skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_body_lod0_mesh
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Set skin weights ended.
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Set skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_flipflops_lod0_mesh
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Set skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_body_lod1_mesh
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Set skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_flipflops_lod1_mesh
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Set skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_body_lod2_mesh
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Set skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_flipflops_lod2_mesh
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Set skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_body_lod3_mesh
// DHI.modules.maya.handler : Set skin weights for mesh: m_med_nrw_flipflops_lod3_mesh
Error moving body meshes to their corresponding LOD groups
No object matches name: geometry_grp

// Warning: file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/body_shader.ma line 212: Specified default value ‘45’ is out of the range of minValue and maxValue; defaultValue ignored. //
// Warning: file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/body_shader.ma line 279: Specified default value ‘45’ is out of the range of minValue and maxValue; defaultValue ignored. //

File read in 2.5 seconds.

// Error: file: E:/Megascans/support/plugins/maya/6.4/MSLiveLink/DHI/assets/Windows/body_shader.ma line 9: RuntimeError: file line 1: Plug-in, “mtoa”, was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH. //
// Error: Effect file “//storage/pipeline/DHI_DXshaders/dx11_shd_body.fx” not found. //
m_med_nrw_body_lod0_mesh
m_med_nrw_body_lod1_mesh
m_med_nrw_body_lod2_mesh
m_med_nrw_body_lod3_mesh
Post import reached
// Warning: file: G:/Autodesk/Maya2020/scripts/others/setProject.mel line 304: A project definition file (workspace.mel) was not found at location E:/Megascans/Downloaded/DHI/7dgbhxwP_asset/2k/asset_ue_source/MetaHumans, a default project definition will be created. //
(‘resolvedBodyMeshName’, u’m_med_nrw’)
Removing sufficient objects
Moving body to world space
Adding body namespace

I will dig deeper into this issue. First of all I will need to find a way how to reproduce it. Thanks for sharing the logs its really helpful

Hiya,

I installed the trial of Arnold and it works now…!

Awesome, glad that it worked for you. Regarding Arnold - this is something we should look up into during the cleanup process and preparation of a next build.

Thanks for the info, this was really helpful.
Enjoy using metahumans :slight_smile:

It does work! I installed Arnold and now everything works as expected.

Thanks

Haha, yes please, I don’t want to have to buy Arnold to use free metahumans :slight_smile:

@anonymous_user_4f03f5c6 No worries, just glad to get it working!

Finally got the export into Maya working. Having Arnold installed is must have requirement to make this process work smoothly.

The export code could certainly use some error checking as to what plugins are required to be installed/loaded. Would be nice to have some sort of popup dialog letting the user that you’re missing some required elements before generating the scene. Otherwise the user is left with an unusable scene.

Hello, I don’t understand why we need to install another Arnold. Isn’t maya2020 with Arnold?

Hello, I don’t understand why we need to install another Arnold. Isn’t maya2020 with Arnold?

Maya LT version comes without Arnold. In that case Arnold needs to be installed. This is just a temporary workaround until we remove all Arnold dependencies used in common assets.

Hi, I downloaded Arnold from the Autodesk website. I get the folder “Arnold-6.0.0.0_SDK_Windows”, not sure how to actually get it onto Maya though?

Thank you very much for your reply, but we already have Arnold’s. how can we solve this problem

1 Like

* You can see that Face_rig is not included in the downloaded file

1 Like

Yeah I can’t get the face whenever I open up the Maya scene that comes with the source download. It makes it impossible for me to use MetaHuman unless I pay for the full version of Maya and use the export feature.