Prevent garbage collection for item in inventory

Hey everyone, I am pretty new to unreal. I want to pick up my item and add it to the player inventory after that remove the item from the world. But I don’t know how to keep a valid reference so the garbage collection doesn’t try to delete it after I call “Destroy Actor”. An idea was to just hide the item but that seems more like a workaround and not a solution.

Item Actor BP:

FirstPersonCharacter BP:

Inventory Widget BP:

Thanks in advance.

Don’t add the item itself. Add a struct that encompasses the items traits. Then destroy the item.

Each item should have this struct inside of it. It can have the name, effects, sell cost etc.

2 Likes

Got it! Just learned what structures are. Thanks a lot

if the item is in your inventory then the inventory has a reference to it so it wont be garbage collected right?

i prefer objects over structs for inventorys, much more modular, in saying that you still need a struct for saving/loading

Well, I added the reference to the array and destroyed it after because I didn’t know how to do it otherwise. I got it working with the struct now tho.

Can you explain how I would do it with the reference? And what would be the benefits?

I was referring to Uobjects I think you’re using actors. if you wanted to use actors you could just hide/disable collision instead of destroying it but that could be expensive if you have 100s of items.

the advantage of objects is they’re modular, you can have a weapon item and an armor item with difference variables for instance, you can also run code on objects. so say a weapon has ammo i handle reloading on the object itself

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.