Prefabricator - Open Source Prefab Plugin

Answer answer is pretty much yes.
Basically you make a list of random objects say book or potion and give them their chance of appearing
Then make a couple of these and put all those into a master prefab.

Then place it.
It will either generate then, creating the prefab of prefabs or you can use BP to make it generate at run time.
Issues you might have is setting it up and putting it in a different book shelf it could overflow out and stuff.

But it’s possible to even have the book shelves set up to be generated then call the appropriate prefab, which picks from some random groups…etc.

Awesome work and very honorable to offer it for free. Something like this was indeed missing in the toolset.

2 Likes

@anon57949848 @BorlandFan Glad you like it.

you are spot on.

The shelves and the tables in the promo video pick up the right child prefabs (bottles, books etc) depending on the selected base mesh to decorate them without overflowing. I’ll have a sample soon

And in case it ever comes up:
item drops.

With the weighted ability it works amazingly well.
Setting up groups groups items that might drop together, and a “nothing” option.
Then collect those in a prefab(s) based on enemy/loot level and spawn away!

This tool is proving to have amazing uses! And is amazingly easy to use. I might love you.

That’s a very nice use case, didn’t think of that

Marketplace

Prefabricator is now available on the marketplace

Grab it from here: Prefabricator in Code Plugins - UE Marketplace

Looks very cool! Good luck

Thank you [USER=“225665”]Sertac Ogan[/USER]

Prefab collections can be created by right clicking existing prefabs and choosing “Create Prefab Collection” from the context menu. This saves up some manual work of adding prefabs to your collections asset by hand

[P.S. The menu was there but was not implemented]

Fixed a load issue bug with prefab collections in some cases by using soft object pointer instead of UObject* to reference the prefab assets. This doesn’t break existing prefab collections

Added versioning to the serialized prefab assets

Fixed an issue where detail panel buttons on the multiple selected prefab actors were working only on the first selected actor

Submitted a new version to the marketplace for approval

Version 1.0.5

• Prefab Collection asset can be created by right clicking on multiple selected prefab assets
  • Fixed an issue where detail panel buttons on the multiple selected prefab actors were working only on the first selected actor
  • Added version number to the serialized prefab asset and asset collection
  • Updated prefab collection asset data structure to use soft object pointer instead of direct uobject reference of prefab assets

The new version should show up in the launcher in a few days, however if you want the new build now, you can get the windows binaries from here

Thank you for all the Amazing work Ali :slight_smile:

[USER=“28980”]Ali Akbar[/USER] It’s a lovely plugin. I don’t know if anyone else has this, but it wont play with Mary Nate’s Prefab Tool. You can’t have both installed at the same time. Just wondering… :rolleyes:

[USER=“28980”]Ali Akbar[/USER]

Sorry for posting a couple of bugs / features, but maybe you don’t know about them.

I’m having a problem with undo, this is about as simple as I can make it:

Drag one cube into an empty level, make it a prefab. Alt drag a copy of that prefab. Select them both and make a nested prefab.

Now press ctrl-z a few times.

BOOM - crash.

[USER=“28980”]Ali Akbar[/USER]
Also, there’s something going on with making nested prefabs and then renaming / moving between folders in the content browser. The nested prefab loses it’s connection to it’s components.

Do you know about this, or shall I repoduce it?

The items can be moved back and it’s ok, but…

I really love the randomization feature BTW :slight_smile:

@tib_hou Thanks for letting me know. I’ll have a look

Version 1.0.5 is now available in the launcher. Refer this post for the changelog

Hi,

I currently try to convert objects of a scene of mine to prefabs, but I have some really annoying problems.

The first one is that when I create a prefab from some actors in the scene, sub-objects of the hierarchy are not saved in the prefab.
(e.g, I had a window with handles parented to the window frames.)

And finally, when I save my scene and then reload, some prefabs are not loaded correctly any-more. Some prefabs are loading other prefabs. ???

For information, I use UE4 4.21.2

I hope these bugs will be fixed soon, because it really seem to be a wonderful tool.