Pre-compiled Linux Unreal Engine installation

Hello everyone,

We now provide distribution-agnostic pre-compiled binaries of Unreal Engine for Linux, downloadable from the Unreal Engine website.

(need to be logged-in to access the files)

Looking forward to hearing your feedback !

16 Likes

Im not using Ubuntu, i’m using Manjaro
I get this error when i try to create the FPS and TPS projects in C++ mode

But it starts fine if i choose Blueprint

I’m very new to unreal

I’m missing some dependency?

An error occurred while trying to generate project files.

Running /home/user/Downloads/Unreal/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Linux/Build.sh  -projectfiles -project="/home/user/Documents/Unreal Projects/MyProject2/MyProject2.uproject" -game -rocket -progress
Setting up bundled DotNet SDK
Running command : dotnet Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.dll -projectfiles -project=/home/user/Documents/Unreal Projects/MyProject2/MyProject2.uproject -game -rocket -progress
Process terminated. Couldn't find a valid ICU package installed on the system. Set the configuration flag System.Globalization.Invariant to true if you want to run with no globalization support.
   at System.Environment.FailFast(System.String)
   at System.Globalization.GlobalizationMode.GetGlobalizationInvariantMode()
   at System.Globalization.GlobalizationMode..cctor()
   at System.Globalization.CultureData.CreateCultureWithInvariantData()
   at System.Globalization.CultureData.get_Invariant()
   at System.Globalization.CultureInfo..cctor()
   at System.StringComparer..cctor()
   at EpicGames.Core.CommandLineArguments..ctor(System.String[])
   at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.Main(System.String[])
/home/user/Downloads/Unreal/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Linux/Build.sh: line 37: 265963 Aborted                 (core dumped) dotnet Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.dll "$@"

With newer distros they have a newer libicu in the system which we missed using the our bundled version. This is fixed in 5.1 (not released yet) but a workaround for now is to set this environment variable before running the scripts:

DOTNET_SYSTEM_GLOBALIZATION_INVARIANT=1

1 Like

Thanks for this port, why not create a repository for Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora/Suse/Red Hat and another repository for other linux?

1 Like

The pre-compiled version doesn’t seem to have Quixel Bridge built in. Is this planned or we can expect to have it working in the next release? Thanks.

5 Likes

Hello, thank you @ThomasC_Epic for the prebuilt Unreal ! But I’ve an issue.

I tested precompiled binaries but still got a problem. In my screen resolution (5120x1440) UnrealEditor appears totally black. I have already posted a topic about this since Unreal version 5.0.1 here → EU5.0.1 - Problem black window at startup in Linux.

I also created an issue in BugTracker about it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

@dwarf1977 @BrewApprentice this is our first iteration of shipping Linux binaries. we’ll work on adding more features in the future

@DidierBroska thanks for having filled the bugtracker, we’ll check it out

6 Likes

This is great :face_holding_back_tears:

@ThomasC_Epic and maybe with an APPIMAGE, and all Linux Distributions can use it (it is Like an EXE with all libs and tools in it) https://appimage.org/

Thank you so much, I can’t believe we don’t have to compile the engine anymore. Please consider adding marketplace support, we still have to recompile plugins for them to work

3 Likes

how do i recompile and add the plugin to my binary version of UE5?