Post processing volume fog transition is instant instead of smooth?

Hello.

I have a question regarding the post processing volume. What I am trying to achieve is a smooth transition from foggy landscape to clear landscape. I have tried multiple tutorials and forums but none fixed my problem.

This is my material setup:

I have 2 post process volumes in my scene.

Here is a picture of the foggy landscape

Here are the settings for the volumes:

First of all, I feel like I should mention that the engine comes with its own fairly extensive fog volume assets you might want to consider looking at. :slight_smile:

On the other hand, if you really want to try to just use post process color tinting, using a [Material Parameter Collection][1] could give you the control you need to adjust the fog however you like. As an example to show off MPC, I have just hooked it up to some keybinds to adjust it here:

The material:

Example to control:

Also, I have a good idea for how to fade it in, as well. You could hook it up to a timeline that triggers when they enter/exit the area. The timeline could be what adjusts the fog value. That seems like it would work. :slight_smile:

I think the OP want the fog gradually increase on walking into the volume without having to write code to adjust params. I don’t know if it’s possible to put a gradient on the volume…

Thank you all for helping me out!

I forgot to mention that I am making a VR game and fog can be very demanding or even refuses to display in VR (working on the oculus quest 2).

Iam going to try these solutions out! Thank you so much :slight_smile:

First of all, thank you so much with the answer.

It works now, I used a material parameter collection and a simple timeline and it works perfectly.
Not only that, the fog material you made improved my fog significantly :D.
I can now see the lights shining trough the fog, which was first obscured.

So simple, I spend a whole day trying to figure this out lol.