Post Processing quality slightly changes brightness?

Hello,

I am new to the Unreal Engine and using the version 4.12.5. I just stumbled across something unclear to me: Going to ‘Settings’ -> ‘Engine Scalability Settings’ and changing the ‘Post Processing’ quality influences the brightness of the scene. I attached a screenshot of the default scene to visualize this behaviour.

My problem is, that I am working on a project using some other shaders, which enforce this effect even more. Since this really influences the atmosphere, I would be very grateful, if there is any possibility to get rid of it.

Thank you in advance. :slight_smile:

You’re looking at Eye Adaptation most likely.

When moving to a higher quality preset, it turns on and automatically adjusts based on scene brightness.

Probably on low settings, high dynamic screen is disabled and you have no Eye adaptation. What I usually do is try to approximately match the desired brightness when eye adaptation is disabled (this can be tuned in the view settings) so players that have it disabled still see the scene correctly. This might not be possible if the brightness is the scene changes (caves and outdoors for example).

Hey,

thank you both for pointing that out. I did not know, that Eye Adaption is an effect, which is always active and thus able to influence the brightness.

I am not too happy with this workaround, due to the reason you pointed out already.

Forcing the post processing to a specific quality might be an easier approach and, since I am using a Cel Shader, it should even look good if the post processing is downforced to medium. I will have to play around with it a bit. It would be great to know how big the effect on the performance of this would be, is there a way to benchmark this?

Kind regards.