Possible to Use Procedural Foliage Spawner With Landscape Layer Instead of Grass?

Howdy, I have been looking around and its a little challenging with people often using the word foliage when talking about Landscape grass, and Procedural Foliage Spawners.

However is it possible to have a procedural Foliage spawner, to spawn its foliage based on landscape layers?

I am looking at setting up Landscape layers for particular biomes, and also Procedural foliage spawners for these biomes.

I would like the associated procedural foliage spawners to spawn where the associated Landscape Layer is active.

My end goal is to create my landscape proceduraly, and define the masks for the biomes proceduraly with render targets, and have my procedural foliage volumes spawn on those layers, and then use Procedural Foliage blocking volumes to clear areas for POIs.

Sorry if this has already been asked!
Thanks for your time!

1 Like

Hi, you can set the landscape layers under “Placement” if you extend the arrow. You would set this per foliage type.

And the documentation about that: Open World Tools Tips & Tricks | Unreal Engine Documentation

2 Likes

Awesome thanks! Looks like I still have to use the volume :frowning:
Now I am wondering if it is better to configure one master volume, or overlap volumes per biome…

I can’t tell you what would be better since I haven’t used the procedural foliage tool that much. But generally speaking, putting everything in one volume might be difficult to keep the overview and therefore might be difficult to extend/maintain.