Possible to turn off Emissive Material for Lumen GI?

Do you mean when they speak about the grass?

Probably there is a command to enable/disable foliage traces, but not exactly “for certain elements”.

For the emissive, this seems to be working fine too, giving the same result as the custom node of previous posts, and as the Affect Dynamic Indirect Lighting checkbox:

(Of course, there is still a minor problem with the screen traces being enabled, but disabling it shouldn’t be an option)

2 Likes

Dude this node is fantastic! Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Sadly, this node does not help, if you want to change a materials brightness based on lumen being enabled or not, while that would be something really needed.

It’s not based on Lumen being enabled or not. Just test it.

Problem is im using real world units… which means i have to make emissive look really bright multiplier to make it look realistic for EV100… which typically makes it contribute way too much cloudly moving dynamic light that looks terrible… i just want the visual representation of the emissive on the material and post process glow… not have it contribute to making my environment look terrible lighting wise.

Kinda strange how this is overlooked…

Not overlooked I would say: the color grading tools in UE5 are very adept for that sort of lookdev I’ve found- and if you’re willing to forsake screen traces you don’t need to deal with the GI either. It partly depends on what your lighting workflow looks like, however.

dynamic lighting… gi for certain things… but if i have lamp with emissive and a spot light… i really dont need lumen giving me light from the emissive making it look terrible … and making the spot light even brighter… It does nothing but make a floating cloudy pixelated mess that looks terrible in action. Not to mention it adds lighting when i dont want it adding lighting… I simply am increasing its emissive to add to bloom and instead im nuking my lighting…

Yep.

I have told them this suggestion many times, and it seems like they may consider it, but without a lot of interest as I understood.

For me, seems so obvious that a per-object, per-material, and/or a global Emissive contribution switch should be mandatorily added. There are workwrounds to mitigate the issues, but any of them work as good as an On/Off switch would.

2 Likes