Point and Click Adventure Toolkit

Hi Aaron, it’s a great kit ! thanks for the documentation, I just have a question,¿ how should the use of the cursor be handled on android, is there any way to use it like on the pc ? or should I just use an alpha texture to hide it, this is my first work with android and it seems that everything gets a bit complicated, like always push an extra button, =) regards

Hey 1electronik,

Mobile device’s will use touch input without the cursor by default. So “Use” in this case would simply be tapping on the object in the world, or any other action that has been enabled on the object. If you have multiple actions on a single actor, you should see a radial menu which shows the different actions available and the player.

Adding cursor support like on the PC would also be possible, but the implementation details would come down to your goals and what you would like input setup to be. Happy to help guide this if you would like to discuss this in more detail.

Quick note… There has been a regression between UE4.23 - 4.24 with some of the platform changes causing the app to crash on startup. For now it would be recommended to remove the custom software cursor entirely (from the DefaultEngine.ini) which may cause some delays/headaches if you want to add custom cursor support for your game.

Hope this helps!
Aaron

Thanks for the response, very fast and clear, I think it’s a great idea to implement the menu, but I think I first have to deeply understand the use of Android and this great tool-kit, anyway I will try to do it and post my progress, Thank you again Aaron

Hi, I don’t understand how to save the game. In the forest demo save but I don’t have a slot. In my scene he tells me he saves, but when I go to load game I don’t have any slots

Sounds great, 1electronik!

Hey Samusam80,

Saving your games progress should be as simple as calling “Autosave” (Will save game progress, e.g. between scenes, but wont permanently save to disk) or “User Save Game” (Save game progress to disk) functions in your blueprints. The Save notification which happens in the demo is a User Save Game, so progress here should output a save file in your GameProject\Saved\SaveGames.… folder.

Here is the save function call you mentioned from the demo, which can be seen in the BP_ForestDemoSceneManager:

If you have development mode enabled in your Game Instance, the save game will be a “DevelopmentSlot.sav” game file instead of a standard “Slot#.sav”. This will also allow you to load into the current scene instead of loading the last scene saved in the standard save game file.

Double check your save games folder and see if there is a save file, such as DevelopmentSlot.sav. You could also try to manually save from the game menu and see if the result is the same.

Let me know if you continue to have troubles with this.
Aaron

Hello, I put the forest demo scene manager in my scene and renamed it. I saw that in the blueprint there is a user save game, as you told me. But the problem continues that when I save and load the game I do not have the slots of the save just made. Where am I wrong?

Sorry but I haven’t used unreal for a long time

the problem is in the main menu, when I go there I load the forest demo and the loading of the game refers to the forest demo scene. How do I hijack the main menu in my scene?

Hey - I was just wondering if this toolkit supported controller input as well/ instead of point and click?

I’ve been toying around with a prototype idea for a simple “adventure” game and have got a scene set up with player controller/ cameras etc, but your asset looks to take the functionality that I would like through the roof. You can see an example of the current protoype here as an example of the type of game I’m dabbling with

Hi, thanks to your asset I am learning little by little the unreal blueprints world. I am very novice so I am sure my question will be stupid but I am stuck with Items interact. Could you please show me one example step by step to how interact one item to an interactable object? I tried to check in the forest and overview scene but I couldn’t understand. I tried with "receive items " variable but I couldn’t find the way to how use in one interactable object.
For example when I pick up one item from the inventory and I would like to use it over one object and then start one event like a dialogue. Thanks bye

Hi!

I have just purchased this toolkit and am getting on well with it so far but am a little stuck and was wondering if someone can help.

I would like to replicate the axe item in the forest scene in my own level. I can get the axe handle to combine with the axe head in the inventory but what i would like to do is do exactly what was done in the forest scene.

Axe Head stuck in log > find handle > drag handle on to axe head > creates Complete axe > can pull axe out of log

I’ve looked in the blueprints but can’t seem to figure it out

Any help would be appreciated !

On another note I have been uploading little tutorial videos as I’ve been learning to help others so hope it helps! (No voice over though!!)

Point and click adventure toolkit tutorials

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Hello,

How can I enable, mouse click for cutscene dialogues. I set dialogue time -1 and game waits for infinite and does not recognize mouse clicks.

Re MySelf:

In cutscene dialogues, I can’t use mose clicks. Wait for user input dialogs must not be cutscene.

Is support for UE4 4.25 coming?

Hey everyone,

I’m pretty new to UE4 and if you’re anything like me, you bought this toolkit to learn from and potentially make a game. I’ve been encountered with a ton of problems so far that most likely result from my like of programming and UE4 experience. So I wanted to create a tutorial on something I’ve figured out how to do.
[HR][/HR]
Creating Dialogue for a Door that is locked
Helpful for telling the player the door is locked. As it stands right now, it could confuse the player if they didn’t assume that.

Within BP_DoorBase we want to add some code to display this dialogue.

1. Open the BP_DoorBase blueprint and navigate to the EnterDoor Function.

2. At the bottom of the blueprint for the function, you will see a commented area that says "Activate Puzzle when this door is locked"

3. From the Branch node create a new line from the false trigger.

1. Create a Start Dialogue Sequence node and for the initiating actor, set it to a self reference

2. Create a new variable within BP_DoorBase of type *Name *and call it whatever you wish (make sure to tick “Instance Editable”

3. Connect that to the dialogue row name

4. From here, we’re finished with this Blueprint and can move onto editing our DT_dialoguetable and door in-scene.
    [HR][/HR]

Scene Manager, Dialogue Table, and Editing Instance

The Scene Manager contains reference to the your DT_dialoguetable that you are using, Aaron’s documentation covers how this works and you can use one of the example scenes to learn from. Within that DT_dialoguetable (name will vary depending on what you have called it) you need to add in a new row and sequence with the dialogue

Now, under the child BP you have created for your door, you just need to scroll down to Puzzle Settings and change the Door Locked Dialogue to the rowname that is your dialogue table Capture.PNG
Presto, you are done!
​​​​​​​

2 Likes

Wonder if anyone can help me understand, animation states and how to add following animation switching example:

• NPC Blacksmith hammers anvil as idle animation.
  • Player character talks to blacksmith who stops hammering and does talking animation with -1 duration (text disappears only on player input). Once input is given blacksmith goes to plain idle animation (second idle animation plain standing and waiting, not hammering), waiting for player response.
  • Once dialog is done and closes NPC goes back to hammering.

So I’m having trouble of understanding where to add this function or how to make animation loop last until player input. Since current setup plays talking animation only once even if duration is set -1.

Hi there,

I’m also very interested in this.

I’m trying to do almost the same thing with the player character. I want to have him to do an animation during a dialogue with a NPC. While talking to the NPC, the player character rotates to the real player talks with him and rotates back to NPC (an aside talk).

As far I know (and it may be wrong), and as you said, the “Generic Talking” animation is playing once at the dialogue’s beggining then is paused and resume between each text lines. That’s the only stuff I found by myself. I’ll try to look into it and report back here if I find something but unfortunately my UE4 programming skill is very poor…

Hey
I’ve hit a bit of a wall where if I add an inventory item using Blueprint, it doesn’t update the Inventory UI.

I have an example where I pick up a coat and it adds the coat item to my inventory. In my case, when the character picks up the coat, he should also get another inventory item - a wallet - that he finds in the pockets, so I want 2 inventory items added to the player, the coat and the wallet. In the BP for the coat, I have an override for Pickup where I go to a Get PNC Character node and split out a Recieve Item node and put in “wallet” in the item name. It seems like the inventory actually has the wallet as I split out a print statement to see my inventory, but the UI doesn’t update to display it.

Is there something I have to do to update the inventory with the new item, or is there another way to do this?

Here’s my full Pickup Function

EDIT: I found the fix for this. In the forest demo, the shopkeeper gives the player a Match, so looking through his blueprint I saw that in order to add an item to the player’s inventory you need to Get PNC Controller and then use Add Inventory Item from that controller instead of directly from the Actor’s Blueprint.

UE4.25.3 Support Released
Hi All,
Additional Support for UE4.25.3 has been added and released on the marketplace.

This update is to address some issues with packaging the project for both packaging and running the packaged build.

The update is focused around refactoring some code to workaround engine issues/limitations. This had been introduced due to some of the new platform changes being made over the past few releases.

**Changes: **

• Enabled Event Driven Loader in the default project settings: With this disabled, some of the animation compression setting assets were not being properly loaded after packaging a build. Enabling this has resolved this issue and should no longer assert when running a packaged build.
  • **Collapsed BPFL_SaveGameHelpers into BPFL_SaveGame function libraries: **With the Event Driven Loader Enabled, there were additional package build issues relating to cross function library dependencies causing Cycle Node errors in the build process. Moving these helpers in to the same function library has resolved this issues. If your own projects make use of these libraries elsewhere, you should be able to replace missing nodes with the same node but from the new library location.
  • Moved Advanced Cursor update functionality to the Player Controller: The Advanced Cursor was also causing some build issues with the event driven loader enabled. This has been addressed by moving the Cursor update functionality back into the player controller tick update. Part of this change was also refactoring and cleaning up the code to be clearer easier to work from an external class. This change also no longer requires the Software cursor to be removed from the project settings when running on mobile devices, however this may still be ideal for mobile projects.

To see what has changes in this update, simply run “Find In Blueprints” (from Menu -> Window -> Find In Blueprints menu) and Search the Project for “Update 1.2”. This should show you a bunch of comments and descriptions for the changes.

If there are any further issues, feature requests, or regressions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the support email: aaronscott.marketplace@gmail.com

Aaron

I was trying to generate a build in UE 4.25.3 and I found out the crash and fortunately I checked and you had the fix ready to help me, thanks!

I have one question related to the engine that I couldn’t find any solution checking the forum or the documentation. I’m trying to create a gameplay puzzle that happens across different Levels (e.g. something happen in Level 1 and that allows to unlock a door in Level 2). I’m using StateStrings to persist then something happens and track the progress of the game, but since the StateStrings are isolated per Level I can’t use them for create a puzzle between different Levels (following the example: I add a StateString in Level 1 indicating that the first event happened and I want to check that StateString in Level 2). I see that I can use the function Get Scene State by Name and set there a specific SceneName to check for their StateStrings, but I’d want a way to do it more generic, like having global StateStrings across all the levels. Because there are some puzzles where I don’t want to be checking the SceneName of a specific Level but check a StateString independing on the Level that was created. Is that possible? (I hope I explained it well…) Thanks!

Not exactly sure about global StateStrings but you should be able to just use “add state strings to scene” in level 1 and then check it in your other level with “branch” and “container” for example to unlock a door in level 2. I usually work with inventory items if I want something to effect all levels without using strings but maybe that’s not a solution for your problem.

I tried using “add state strings to scene” with an invented scene name like “global” but since this wasn’t a real scene that was previously saved, it didn’t work. I guess that I could tweak how internally is implemented to make it working but I wanted to ask if there was another way to properly solve the problem. I could check in level 2 if there is a StateString created in another level, but I’ll need something more generic in the future, like in one level adding a StateString and in multiple other levels checking if that StateString was created regardless in which level was it done.

What do you mean by “container”?

Thanks for your reply!