Png background transprency ignored

Hi,

Today i’m trying to use a simple PNG picture as a texture.

295601-teleporttransp.png

As you can see, my background is transparent, and the character is black.
I import my picture to ue4, so it can load it as a texture. Then I create a material from it and set Material Doamin to Deferred Decal, Blend Mode to Transclucent and Decal Blend Mode to Transclucent.
When I apply this material to an object, the background is white, and not transparent.

I don’t understand what i’m doing wrong. It seems that my issue comes from the import, as Unreal doesn’t consider my image as a transparent one. It says “Has Alpha Channel: False”.

How can I manage to import a picture correctly, and to apply it to a material.

ANy help would be much appreciated :). Thank you everyone !

The problem isn’t the image. If you download it and open it with any editor, you’ll see that it has a transparent background.

It’s the problem with the image. Open it with Photoshop then you can see it does have a white background.

Simply remove the white background in Photoshop and reimport into unreal then you are good to go.

I’m not familiar with PhotoFiltre but it’s not in Photoshop:

And if I remove the background in photoshop then reimport it the problem goes away. If you don’t have photoshop available here’s the edited copy of the image:

295691-teleporttransp.png

Whaaat. How can an image be transparent in Photofiltre or Gimp, but not in Photoshop x) ? I’ll try with your image, thank you for your time !

Another thing to consider is, by default in the material editor, black is fully transparent, and white is fully opaque. Basically, black is translated as alpha value 0, white is translated alpha value 1 (in range 0-1). It’s easy to miss because while working on an image in an image-editing application (Photoshop, GIMP, Inkscape, etc) alpha is simply what it is irrespective of color.