Plugin 'X' failed to load because module 'X' could not be loaded launch error

Hey all, I’ve just done a fresh install of windows 11, fully updated, all drivers done etc…

The I installed the official release of UE 4.27.2 from the official launcher. Note: This is not a source build of my own, this is the official Launcher release version.

When I go to launch the editor so I can start a new project from the template files I immediately get the error:

mQv6ysfAlO

Plugin ‘OnlineSubsystemUtils’ failed to load because module ‘OnlineSubsystemUtils’ could not be loaded. There may be an operating system error or the module may not be set up properly.

So I opened the OnlineSubsystemUtils.uplugin file in notepad++ and changed it from defaulting as true to false and it made no difference. In there was a line about calling itself ‘OnlineSubsystem’ so I located the pluging for that specifically: Onlinesubsystem.uplugin. I opened this and noticed the info and version was the same so I copied it all into the original plugin text, replacing it all and then the launcher began loading. About quarter way into loading it throws up another error:

Plugin ‘OnlineSubsystemNull’ failed to load because module ‘OnlineSubsystemNull’ could not be loaded. There may be an operating system error or the module may not be set up properly.

So I changed the info in that to false from true and the launcher loaded beyond it. I get to 83-85% and get this error:

Plugin ‘AudioCapture’ failed to load because module ‘AudioCaptureEditor’ could not be loaded. There may be an operating system error or the module may not be set up properly.

So this is where I’m stuck. I’ve tried to edit the text and nothing works. I’ve done three full fresh clean installed of UE4 and three full validations of each engine install and I still keep getting these errors.

I’ve asked for help in discords and nobody knows anything. I really need help with this because otherwise I can’t do my job. I’m stuck :disappointed:

4 Likes

Just to update: This is what I did so far. As you can see I’ve set each plugin to false. It seems the OnlineSubsystemNull has the primary say is what happens so changing just that to false prevents the others from being called

1 Like

I think I fixed it:

I added the line:

“Enabled”: false

to the section under “AudioCaptureEditor” and placed a comma at the end of “whitelist platforms”.

I’ve been able to launch into the editor to then begin a new template project.

I have also loaded into a main project.

No idea what this is all about or why it’s happening but hopefully I wont be having problems down the line…

1 Like

I had the same issue. I figured it out that the problem lies in that I have a Windows N version which doesn’t have media features. By installing Windows media feature pack: Media Feature Pack list for Windows N editions the problem was solved for me and I was able to launch the engine.

3 Likes

Installing the Media Pack worked for me two. Thanks a lot for the tip. Have been struggling with this for a week now.

2 Likes

My problem is that the source build. the same is the plugin 'OnlineSubsystemUtils' failed to load. .

My solution is to delete the Binaries in the ....\Engine\Plugins\Online\OnlineSubsystemUtils\ directory, and then rebuild the UE4.sln project.

It’s worked for me. Probably not applicable to this topic, but it may give an idea to someone with the same problem. :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, this saved me! I’m currently working on a custom engine build forked from GitHub and was having this exact problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sometimes, the module may need C++ so just add an empty C++ class with parent “None” and then enable the plugin

1 Like

Hello, this fixed it for me by deleting everything in <our project>.uproject and restarting editor. That forced opened project selector … and stopped with the errors. Reverted the changes and now it’s all good.

2 Likes

sry for necro this post…
but…

i yesterday needed to completely clean up my whole system… so… starting of from a completely empty, fresh system…

Installed Windows 11 N (yes… i know what N is)…
so… the first thing was, to install the Media Feature Pack for the latest Win11 (of Feb’23). and aftet that, the drivers, epic games…etc

I installed 5.1.1, without a problem… verified the installation. no problems…

but… starting the Engine leads into the exact same popup… It was running under the same OS with all updates and stuff before wiping the system… but not now…

any ideas what happens there and how to fix it?

In my case, it was a missing plugin dependency.

I created a plugin that was using another plugin’s dependency but I forgot to add it in the .uplugin file.

The code was compiling but unreal was unable to open.

1 Like